How to transfer videos from phone to computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinos

Reaction score
I have recorded a few videos on my Samsung captivate and I can't figure out how to upload them on my computer. Can someone tell me step by step how to do this? I've tried emailing myself the videos but the files are too big. Also, how do I upload music from my computer to my phone?

Thanks for everything!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using DroidForums App

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Ok, I'm using a Droid X, so their may be some slight differences.

First, plug your phone into the computer using the micro-USB port.

At that point you should get a USB notification. Drag your notification bar down, tap the USB connection and choose USB Mass Storage.

You should see the SD card of your phone show up on the computer as a USB Drive.

Open the drive on the computer and navigate to the DCIM folder. Somewhere in there you should find your video files, probably with the extension .3gp

They may be under a different folder. Search around.

Drag and drop them into the folder of your choice on the computer.

When you are done be sure to properly eject the USB drive from your computer before disconnecting the phone. If you want the phone to automatically mount the SD card each time leave it in USB Mass Storage. If not change it to whatever you normally have it in. I leave it in Charge Only.

cathy duncan

Reaction score
Ok, I'm using a Droid X, so their may be some slight differences.

First, plug your phone into the computer using the micro-USB port.

At that point you should get a USB notification. Drag your notification bar down, tap the USB connection and choose USB Mass Storage.

You should see the SD card of your phone show up on the computer as a USB Drive.

Open the drive on the computer and navigate to the DCIM folder. Somewhere in there you should find your video files, probably with the extension .3gp

They may be under a different folder. Search around.

Drag and drop them into the folder of your choice on the computer.

When you are done be sure to properly eject the USB drive from your computer before disconnecting the phone. If you want the phone to automatically mount the SD card each time leave it in USB Mass Storage. If not change it to whatever you normally have it in. I leave it in Charge Only.

Nicely explained. Great job. I admired it.

vegainey

Reaction score
That was an excellent description of how to transfer files from your phone to computer via USB Cable. I don't think there is anything I could say to improve on that answer.

However, if you want an alternative that does NOT require using a USB connection, take a look at an application called Dropbox. You can install Dropbox on your computer, and also download and install it onto your phone from the Market. Then, copy your video into Dropbox from your phone. In a few minutes, the video will appear in your Dropbox on your computer.

If you decide to install Dropbox, you get 2GB of space with a new account. However, if use a referral link when setting up your account, you and the person providing the referral link each get an additional 250MB of space (up to the 8GB limit).

Here is a link to the forum Drop Box Referral Thread. Just go to the last page, use the last referral when you sign up, then add your own referral link so the next person that signs up can use your referral.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/42634-drop-box-referrals-here.html

Last edited:

cathy duncan

Reaction score
That was an excellent description of how to transfer files from your phone to computer via USB Cable. I don't think there is anything I could say to improve on that answer.

However, if you want an alternative that does NOT require using a USB connection, take a look at an application called Dropbox. You can install Dropbox on your computer, and also download and install it onto your phone from the Market. Then, copy your video into Dropbox from your phone. In a few minutes, the video will appear in your Dropbox on your computer.

If you decide to install Dropbox, you get 2GB of space with a new account. However, if use a referral link when setting up your account, you and the person providing the referral link each get an additional 250MB of space (up to the 8GB limit).

Here is my referral link, in case you want to use it.

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTY3NjkzNTg5?src=global0

Thanks for this mighty link, dude! I really appreciate your efforts and I'll surely refer it to my friends and colleagues who actually are in a dire need of it.

horsenbuggy

Reaction score
I will add one more method...which is longer, but will work when you don't have your card. If you have bluetooth enabled on your home pc, you could send it that way. I downloaded a free app called bluetooth file transfer that makes the process so much easier. I had to use it to send a video to my cousins android phone. I filmed him while we were fishing and he wanted to have the video.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using DroidForums App

horsenbuggy

Reaction score
I meant to say...when you don't have your cable.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using DroidForums App

Reaction score
Without a cable... my expertise!

Im all about wireless. Go to market and download SwiFTP. Google a tutorial on how to use it or map your phone as a network device. I have a shortcut to my phone under my computer now, you can do everything and more that you could with the cable, but its over wifi instead now, and its not slow at all. You even have access to the phone files whereas usb gives you just the sd card.

geta2j

Reaction score
There is also the option of using wifi if you have a wireless network at home. Although, I do not have a specific process and have no prior experience doing this.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
K

kinos

Reaction score
Thanks for all of these awesome ideas!!

I tried using dropbox but I feel like it is taking too long. Granted, the videos are all about 5 minutes long, I don't think it should take 3-4 days to upload onto dropbox. Also, sometimes when using dropbox it randomly stops uploading.

I also tried plugging my phone in to my clmputer but I can't seem to find any videos or pictures in the DCIM folder? Is there a way to cut and paste my pictures and videos from my phones memory onto my memory card? That way I can just use my adapter and just plug that into my computer. Thanks!!!!!

OP
K

kinos

Reaction score
I have wifi at home but i still have to set it up. How do you do it through wifi?

Reaction score
Download SwiFTP and then google "map phone as network device SwiFTP tutorial" click first link

Status
Not open for further replies.