How to move a paid-for app from my phone to my wife's phone.

StanH

Reaction score
An app that I purchased on Play Store needs to be on my wife's phone instead of mine. The app is PdaNet/FoxFi which which enabled me to occasionally access the internet with my laptop through my phone.

It worked perfectly for one day. The next day I inadvertently updated the operating system from "Ice Cream Sandwich" v4.0 to "Jelly Bean" v4.1. Then I learned that v4.1 prevents the app from running.

So I want the app to be on the other phone, which still runs v4.0. I know that I can buy a second copy for the other phone, but is there a way to move the current one over?

Droid RAZR Maxx HD

Redsnk95

Reaction score
The app purchase and phone is associated with your Google account. You could email PDAnet to see about a license transfer but I don't think you can do it through the Play Store.

skennelly

Reaction score
Not sure what phone you have, but my wife uses pdanet/foxfi on her s3 with the latest jb update and it works fine for her.

skennelly

Reaction score
Also, you may have to use it unsecured as I don't think it does work if she password protectes it.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
-Switch numbers on the phones.

-Then switch the Google accounts associated with the phones under Settings>Accounts.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just add your google account to your wife's phone and disable everything that normally syncs with it. Then download it through your account.

OP
S

StanH

Reaction score
Not sure what phone you have, but my wife uses pdanet/foxfi on her s3 with the latest jb update and it works fine for her.
My guess is that it works for her because she doesn't have Verizon as provider.

OP
S

StanH

Reaction score
Just add your google account to your wife's phone and disable everything that normally syncs with it. Then download it through your account.
I will try that. It is too late at night now, but I will try it tomorrow.

OP
S

StanH

Reaction score
That worked! :biggrin:

I added my two Gmail accounts to my wife's phone. From Play Store, I got a list of my previous apps by clicking "myapps" and "All". It showed both my purchased apps and the free apps I had installed. The list even included the apps are installed on the Droid X that I lost!

It showed each app's status on my current phone. It showed the price I had paid, and when I downloaded PdaNet and Key to my wife's phone I did not have to pay for the premium a second time.

I also learned also that I could examine the record of my purchases and downloads with PC by logging in to my Gmail and then going to https://play.google.com/apps. In my case I had to handle each of my two Gmail accounts separately because I had some apps under each account.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
Glad the OP got his answer.

skennelly: JB + FoxFi on motorola devices doesn't work. It seems to be working on Samsung devices but no luck on Moto devices.

OP
S

StanH

Reaction score
Edited. I had posted before I saw the post above.

Last edited: