Can I reverse the automatic upgrade 4.0 -->4.1?

Discussion in 'RAZR HD and RAZR HD MAXX Support' started by StanH, Feb 23, 2013.

1. StanH

StanH New Member

Droid RAZR MAXX HD
    I received an automatic upgrade from Verizon that converted my Ice Cream Sandwhich operating system(4.1) to Jelly Bean (4.1). I did not want that upgrade because I prevents me from my need to sometimes use the FoxFi/PdaNet (WiFi) app to access the internet with my laptop by WiFi.

Q1 Is it possible to reverse the upgrade?

Q2 Assuming the PdaNet still can enable Bluetooth and USB access to the internet thru the phone, does anyone know the relative speed of those two options? (The WiFi option was 5100 kbps.)
  2. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

TOTALLY BLEW THAT ONE! I apologize to the OP, but I missed that it was the MAXX HD, and NOT the regular MAXX. GoCliffGo05 set me straight! so simply follow the instructions he and KaChow mentioned.

For the second question, I am not sure of speeds, but you could also consider rooting and doing the Hotspot hack to get true WIFI sharing...of course, it's against the Verizon's terms and conditions of use, but if you're not a pig about it and don't use 100GB per month, they're not going to bother you.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  3. GoCliffGo05

GoCliffGo05 Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  4. KaChow

KaChow Guest

Go to this link, click here. I have the utility available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Follow steps 1-4, the 0.7.2 update (mentioned in step 5)is not the JB update, which it is okay to install. Once, things are in good shape, I recommend going into Settings> Apps> All and disable the Updater, as it will continue to remind you to update constantly to JB 4.1.1. Disabling Motorola Services is also helpful.
  5. FoxKat

Hey KaChow, you may want to revise your post linked above. In the instructions you mention "Begin by downloading MattLGroff’s DROID RAZR UTILITY.", yet you are actually referring to the "MattLGroff’s DROID RAZR HD UTILITY 1.10". This may be a bit confusing for the newbies.
  6. KaChow

KaChow Guest

Thanks for mentioning the errors in my post, I could certainly see how the missing "HD" could confuse a newbie. If there are any other inconsistencies please let me know, as the threads purpose is to be as simple as possible without any confusion. :icon_cool:

@StanH
    if you are interested in finding out more about the HotSpot or Entitlement Hack, I have thread a that discusses it. The HotSpot Wireless Tether, USB Tether and my favorite Reverse Tether, link is here.
  7. FoxKat

You've done a great job of keeping things simple for the masses... Keep up the good work! :rating10:
  8. FoxKat

Love the new Sig image...please see my PM. Thanks! :biggrin:
  9. StanH

StanH New Member

Since I can't create a hotspot with my current setup with Jelly Bean, I tried to connect to my laptop by USB using PdaNet after installing drivers with Motorola Device Manager. That didn't work. I couldn't get a Bluetooth connection to work either. I hope I just made mistakes.

I determined that the phone's settings indicate that Verizon charges for all three methods -- WiFi, USB, and Bluetooth.

Q - Could it be that PdaNet is prevented from connecting the phone to a computer for all three connection methods?
  10. StanH

StanH New Member

I appreciate the links and advice for backing out of v4.1 and etc.

Here is my current thinking:
    I just realized that I have a simple option. My wife also just received a new Droid RAZR MAXX HD with v4.0 and it is not activated yet. She is not a sophisticated user and will probably use it for little more than telephone and email.

If her phone could be kept at v4.0 we could trade phones during the occasional times that I need a tether. Then I could let my phone stay with v4.1 and hers at v4.0. I would install PdaNet on her phone for WiFi, USB, Bluetooth. Is this practical?

Three things concern me about this approach:

(1) That one of us would inadvertently forget and accept the upgrade to 4.1

(2) That Verizon would upgrade to 4.1 without asking.

(3) That Verizon would stop supporting the v4.0 with maintenance and security fixes.

Any comments about this plan? Am I missing anything?
  11. pdaniel219

pdaniel219 New Member

If your wife won't care, why don't you just trade phones all together, and never accept the update?
  12. StanH

StanH New Member

I am considering that too. The reason I hesitate is that I have not studied and compared the capabilities of the two operating systems. If 4.1 happens to do more than v4.0, I am more likely to take advantage of that, as her main interest is in telephoning and checking email. I need to find a good comparison in order to decide.

Another factor is that I need the tether only for an hour at a time once or maybe twice a month -- to access the web pages during powerpoint (Open Office version) presentations. That is also why Verizon's pricing doesn't make sense for me.
  13. tpaege1

tpaege1 New Member

too bad i cant go back to ics, i got my phone new with JB on it from the start .... or can i?
  14. GoCliffGo05

15. tpaege1

tpaege1 New Member

well ive done all that i can,its ics rooted but cant get Safe strap to open when i reboot, i can go to flash in recovery mode but SS dont open any help, sorry im a
    little slow on this part
  16. GoCliffGo05

Edited until some things are figured out.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  17. StanH

StanH New Member

I am about to activate my wife's Droid RAZR MAXX HD that currently has v4.0. I plan to install PDANet and FoxFi on it.

My goals are to both prevent upgrades to Jelly Bean (v4.1), and to be able to research any maintenance updates within 4.0 before accepting them. I want to control updating on my own time. So I have the following questions.

Q1 - Can I expect to always be asked for approval before updates are installed?

Q2 - If I reject an update, will it continue to nag me? Is there a setting that influences this?

Q3 - If I reject an update, will I be able to change my mind later? Is there a setting that influences this?

I want to avoid inadvertent acceptance of an update like when I accepted v4.1 on my own phone foolishly. It is easy for me to get caught off guard when thinking about other matters.
  18. Droid Firefighter

Droid Firefighter Active Member

Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
    1 yes
    2 yes, no
    3 yes, no
  19. GoCliffGo05

If you root the phone you can disable the upgrade notifications. Also if you have a HD/Maxx HD you can revert it to 4.0 if you wish.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
  20. StanH

StanH New Member

I have the tether working under v4.0 on my wife's phone now.

For the little bit that I plan to use tethering at this point, I think I will stick with her v4.0 rather than risk screwing up the backing out of my phone 4.1 --->4.0. (I just don't trust myself that well.)

The only thing I worry about is that she will be rushing someday and forget to reject the upgrade -- like I did mine. Is there a rooting procedure for v4.0 that is very simple? And reversible?

Other than that, does anyone know how often the nag window will appear? Hour? Day? Week? Month?
Search tags for this page
can i reverse my last android update?
droid razr hd verizon reverse update

how to reverse an update on android

how to reverse android update

how to reverse automated android operating system upgrade

how to reverse jelly bean update

how to undo update to razr maxx
matt's 1.10 utility

reverse android update

reverse droid updates

reverse jelly bean update