How to install a theme

Pureblood

Reaction score
So i see all these nice themes in the theme thread but I cant for the life of me figure out how to install them. I downloaded rom manager but it says you have to buy it... surely their is a free way to install them.

PACanesFan

Reaction score
So i see all these nice themes in the theme thread but I cant for the life of me figure out how to install them. I downloaded rom manager but it says you have to buy it... surely their is a free way to install them.

Use Kouch's Bootstrap Recovery. If you don't have it, I think there is a copy in the market for $2.00, or download for free from Kouch's site. My Brain Hurts: Droid X Recovery (and Droid 2 too!) This, IMO, is a better tool for flashing ROMS and themes. Be sure to get the proper Droid version as well.

In general, most developers and themers will post basic instructions. I posted some more detailed instructions below.

1) Download the theme you want. Be sure the version works with your version of Apex (assuming you are running 1.3.1, most all will work). Be sure to use Apex based themes. Fab has them linked in his first post.
2) Put the theme zipped file you downloaded on the root of the SD card.
3) Start Bootstrap and click Bootstrap Recovery
4) Click Reboot Recovery
5) Your phone will reboot into bootstrap recovery
5a) Depending on your theme instructions, there are times you must navigate to 'mounts and storage'
5b) Navigate to mount /system
5c) Select with camera buttion (will change to unmount /system)
5d) Select physical back button to return to top menu
6) Using the volume up/down buttons, navigate to 'install zip from sdcard'
7) Use the physical camera button to select
8) Navigate to 'choose zip from sdcard and select with camera button
9) Navigate to your theme file and select with camera button
10) Confirm the selection
11) The theme will now install
12) Once completed, use the physical back button to you get to the top menu
13) Select 'reboot system now' using camera button

That's it. Your phone will reboot. It may take a bit longer then usual to reboot. Once it does, you will have a themed ROM.

Last edited: