How to get started with th droid 2 global?

bombadil

Reaction score
ok, i some how rebooted my phone by playing with the keyboard, then ran the install again and now it seems to be working. :)

TJConnery

Reaction score
Heres the latest:
I got the phone in the mail and screamed like a little girl out of excitement (this step is required).
I didn't know the billing password at first so I touched all four corners clockwise starting with the top left to bypass setup (and I figured I wouldn't be using stock much longer so I thought it was fine).
When I got the billing password I called *228 and followed the directions.
Installed z4root and rooted
Used kouch's bootstrap to run custom recovery and then made a nandroid backup.
Copied over Fission ROM manager
Connected to Wi-Fi
Downloaded Fission using the ROM manager
Installed Fission with wipe data and cache
Set Up google account once Fission booted
Exploring Fission :)

Any questions on a specific step are welcome

Do you have to run the Bootstrap/nandroid back-up steps before each time you do a subsequent install from FRM, or will the backup within FRM be sufficient? <---- OK, I am getting the hang of this. FRM is just an app that allows you to do the bootstrap steps through the app instead of the power on/X-key routine.

The "wipe" option will wipe out your desktop, so you only need to wipe data on the first install or a new rebuild.

Last edited:
OP
M

monks700

Reaction score
Plans

Nice thread - I think if you added a bit more detail on each of the steps you took it wold merit being made a sticky.

CC

I plan on fleshing it out when I have the time but so far I've been busy

OP
M

monks700

Reaction score
Past Day

Wow, I can't believe I've only spent 1 day with this device, I feel like I could never have lived without it.
Anyway what I've done:
Installed some apps from the market (I'll list those if people want me to when I do a full write up)
Installed screebl
Did the battery optimizations listed in an earlier post
Installed verizon 3g hotspot for fission using recovery
Tried to install TBH 3g hotspot mod using recovery and realized that it didn't work on the droid 2
Downloaded radiocomm and made the proper seem edits (also got nostalgic about my razr)
Played with radiocomm (Disclaimer: I DO NOT RECOMMEND PLAYING WITH RADIOCOMM but I know some people and have used it a lot before)
Edited seem 01C2 record 0001 from 01 to 00 supposedly increasing 3g speeds but the signal here is so bad I can't tell if it worked
edited build.prop from ro.modem_available=0 to ro.modem_available=1
phone as modem showed up as an option in usb so I tried to set it up on my w7 vm running on my desktop but it wouldnt get past dialing #777
Texted the girl I like (Important step, remember even when phone hacking one must be social)

Alright guys thats all for now, again once robotics build season is over I'll have more time to flesh this stuff out but if you have any questions post here or PM me
Oliver

steeda2005

Reaction score
Are these steps that need to be done on the phone? I got mine from verizon. Dont they do that when u buy the phone?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

TJConnery

Reaction score
Whoaa!

You lost me at Radiocom!

OK, I got the full FRM 1.2.4 and played with all the goodies on Fission 2.3.4. I am ready to move on. What's next.

I like the new Moto player, but could not get the FM radio to work. What do I need to do here? I get no signal (even though I have the headphones plugged in, which I assume become the FM aerial). The streaming FM stations work fine, I'd like to be able to pick up local FM as well.

jcl197

Reaction score
I may be wrong but from what ive been told the D2G may not have the hardware for the FM radio? Does anyone know for sure?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

TJConnery

Reaction score
D2G Radio

Well, thay would certainly explain it. I thought if it was included in the fission rom kit for the D2G it might work. First time I have ever seen a non-internet fm app for the Droid series. Oh well, maybe I can get one for my iPod Touch 4th Gen...

Asphyx

Reaction score
Played with radiocomm (Disclaimer: I DO NOT RECOMMEND PLAYING WITH RADIOCOMM but I know some people and have used it a lot before)
Edited seem 01C2 record 0001 from 01 to 00 supposedly increasing 3g speeds but the signal here is so bad I can't tell if it worked
edited build.prop from ro.modem_available=0 to ro.modem_available=1
phone as modem showed up as an option in usb so I tried to set it up on my w7 vm running on my desktop but it wouldnt get past dialing #777

Seem Edits? In this day and age?!??!?!! I should have known when I got Moto Phone! LOL

I'll have to look into that.