How to Force Bionic to use 4G Only?

krazykid6911

Reaction score
Hey Everyone. Long story short, i use my Bionic on ICS .232, i use it 2 days a week at work for tethering and i get 2-3 bars of 4G. My phone constantly switches back to 3g and requires a reboot then it will be in 4g for 10 minutes or 3 hours, but its frustrating and annoying.

Is there anything i can do to force it into 4G when i want to? I am in the Massachusetts area and am surrounded by excellent 4G.

Thank You!

landon418

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hey Everyone. Long story short, i use my Bionic on ICS .232, i use it 2 days a week at work for tethering and i get 2-3 bars of 4G. My phone constantly switches back to 3g and requires a reboot then it will be in 4g for 10 minutes or 3 hours, but its frustrating and annoying.

Is there anything i can do to force it into 4G when i want to? I am in the Massachusetts area and am surrounded by excellent 4G.

Thank You!

Dial *#*#4636#*#* and select lte only. You probably know this already ;p

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes you can force LTE only but you will be unable to send and receive phone calls and texts as Verizon's LTE network is currently Data only and not voice.

If you got to Settings>Wireless and Networks>Mobile Network and change it to LTE Only.

It sounds like you are located in a fringe network area. Which is why your phone keeps switching between 3G and 4G.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
K

krazykid6911

Reaction score
Yes you can force LTE only but you will be unable to send and receive phone calls and texts as Verizon's LTE network is currently Data only and not voice.

If you got to Settings>Wireless and Networks>Mobile Network and change it to LTE Only.

It sounds like you are located in a fringe network area. Which is why your phone keeps switching between 3G and 4G.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

dang thats a dealbreaker then. I need to be able to receive calls still. That doesnt make sense, didn LTE enable VZW to do data/voice at the same time?

Edit: Well i guess it makes sense. The phone has two radios in it, and uses LTE only for 4g Data. Love answering my own questions lol.

OP
K

krazykid6911

Reaction score
Dial *#*#4636#*#* and select lte only. You probably know this already ;p

actualy had no idea, i appreciate the information. im gonna give it a whirl.

What do i set it back to when im done? There are alot of options. Is it just CDMA/LTE?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
dang thats a dealbreaker then. I need to be able to receive calls still. That doesnt make sense, didn LTE enable VZW to do data/voice at the same time?

Yes, but LTE does the data and CDMA does calls/SMS messages. If you force the phone into LTE-only mode, it turns off the CDMA radio that's currently required for calls and texts. There's no voice over LTE on Verizon yet.

markwebb

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
Yes, but LTE does the data and CDMA does calls/SMS messages. If you force the phone into LTE-only mode, it turns off the CDMA radio that's currently required for calls and texts. There's no voice over LTE on Verizon yet.

???? I have the Bionic and with ICS I can and have received calls and can continue to surf the Web while in the 4G reception areas.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
???? I have the Bionic and with ICS I can and have received calls and can continue to surf the Web while in the 4G reception areas.

Yes, but your calls are being carried through the CDMA network while connected to LTE. Verizon LTE phones can connect to both CDMA and LTE at the same time, allowing the CDMA network to take care of calls/texts and the LTE network to take care of data.

So, when your phone says you're connected to 4G, you're also connected to CDMA as well. :)

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score

That's because (like already mentioned) the LTE radio is data only and the CDMA radio does calls and texts.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

wseyller

Reaction score
I use lte only while at home sometimes. I happen to use groove ip for when i talk to certain friends. The groove ip is setup somehow that it forward my calls to my google voice number which means i still get my calls. I have to use use groove ip also if i want to make calls.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2