How to edit the colors of .pngs.

nordy420

Reaction score
Hello All,
Can any one direct me or teach me the steps on how to edit the colors of icons? I want to try and theme on my own but cannot figure out how to pull phone files. When plugged into the pc all I can see is the sd card content. If someone could help I would appreciate it much.

hackja4fun

Reaction score
You can use Ninja Morph from the market to copy and extract the files to your sd card.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Get Root Explorer. Go into your ROM's zip, then look in System > Res and you should see framework-res (which is an apk). That's where the images are. They can then be edited with say GIMP, paint.net, etc. You can also copy the file to other folders.

Message delivered via a Bolt of lightning

OP
nordy420

nordy420

Reaction score
Get Root Explorer. Go into your ROM's zip, then look in System > Res and you should see framework-res (which is an apk). That's where the images are. They can then be edited with say GIMP, paint.net, etc. You can also copy the file to other folders.

Message delivered via a Bolt of lightning

When you use this procedure, are you using a copy of the image so you do not mutilate the image or do you just have to be extra careful after extracting the image? Thank you also for the prompt reply.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nordy, while both of these methods work, the method I use to theme is pretty much fail proof. I use ADB to pull the framework/apps I want (it copies it to my computer, doesn't erase the copy on the phone), then edit with paint.net. Do you have adb installed?

OP
nordy420

nordy420

Reaction score
Nordy, while both of these methods work, the method I use to theme is pretty much fail proof. I use ADB to pull the framework/apps I want (it copies it to my computer, doesn't erase the copy on the phone), then edit with paint.net. Do you have adb installed?

I believe I attempted to install adb when I was trying to fix a friends bricked hero, but could never figure out how to use the program. Then again the pc would never recognize the phone so I am sure that had something to do with it.

OP
nordy420

nordy420

Reaction score
OP
nordy420

nordy420

Reaction score
I strictly use MFC if I can, VC6 only. I HATE console apps/code with a passion. They are utterly useless.

What exactly is MFC and VC6, sorry I am one of those people that usually wait for a developer to do the work for me, but I am antsy to learn more.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The link will tell you exactly how to set up adb properly. Once you have it set up:

1. Download the latest X drivers (I don't have an X, don't know where it is, best bet is to search around the X forums)
2. Connect phone to pc, enable USB Debugging
3. Open up command prompt
4. Open up root explorer on phone, mount system r/w
5. Let's say you want to theme the framework. Type "adb pull /system/framework/framework-res.apk locationoncomputeryouwantthefile" (for example let's say documents, then (at least for my computer) it would be "adb pull /system/framework/framework-res.apk C:\Users\Owner\Documents".)
6. Right click the framework and open as an archive using 7zip (download that too)
7. Find the image, edit it with Paint.net/gimp/photoshop/whatever
8. (This step might not be necessary but just to be sure) keep pressing the back button until it asks you if you want to update the archive (click yes) if it doesn't prompt you and you are out of the .apk it was auto updated.
9. Push it back to your phone "adb push C:\Users\Owner\Documents\framework-res.apk /system/framework"

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I strictly use MFC if I can, VC6 only. I HATE console apps/code with a passion. They are utterly useless.

What exactly is MFC and VC6, sorry I am one of those people that usually wait for a developer to do the work for me, but I am antsy to learn more.

Ignore that perrson, if you look at their sig, he's probably a spam bot.

OP
nordy420

nordy420

Reaction score
So after following the procedure, if something is done incorrectly, is an sbf necessary or can it be fixed?

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So after following the procedure, if something is done incorrectly, is an sbf necessary or can it be fixed?

If you follow my steps, the worst thing you would have to do is wipe data/reinstall the rom.

OP
nordy420

nordy420

Reaction score

If you follow my steps, the worst thing you would have to do is wipe data/reinstall the rom.

Ok, I will give it a shot early afternoon and report the success or devastation. Lol thank you for the help.