How quick is gmail vs Blackberry

Reaction score
Just registered on this site as I am 92% ready to jump from my Blackberry to a Droid Incredible. One thing that is very important to me is how quick an incoming email gets to me as I deal with international customers. I have read where BB is the king in this one area, but I also have read that gmail is pushed and very quick. What I need to know specifically is just how quick is gmail? I live and work in a very well covered area (Orange County which is just outside of Los Angeles). I have also been told that the Incredible has hardware/software that increases the speed of receiving emails. If the gmail is fast enough, the overwhelming other benefits would make it a go for me. TIA

OP

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. Just for clarification, gmail is "instant", correct? So for example someone sends an email to me using my gmail address, it should come almost instantly or much the same way my BB does now?

OP

Reaction score
That is what I needed to know, thanks. Looks like I'll be in the line tomorrow at the local Verizon store as that's when the Incredible goes on sale.

jasonb

Reaction score
gmail push is pretty damn fast. i have noticed if i have my phone next to me and i am also on my laptop, my phone will usually alert me before my laptop does.

buckfill

Reaction score
fwiw...i work in IT and support Blackberry Enterprise, android, and WinMO. They are all very competitive in speed. I have a droid and with Exchange it's consistently seconds apart. Maybe 30% of the time my email vibrates my phone before it shows up in outlook. Once again, always seconds apart.

I just now sent an email from work to my gmail account. It took 15 or 16 seconds for my phone to vibrate. I'm not sure of what sort of timing you're looking for, but that is nearly instant to me!!

EtherGnat

Reaction score
I've never timed mine with a stopwatch, but messages I've sent to myself seem to appear somewhere between instantly, and never (as I recall) more than a minute. This is true for both my Exchange and GMail accounts.

OP

Reaction score
30 seconds or less is acceptable, so 15 seconds is great. Taking a minute and longer would be a deal breaker for me. When I get an international call, if I can reply quick enough the entire communication can take place right then and there. If I don't return the email fast enough and miss the customer the "conversation" can take a day between replies, and often means losing the customer altogether. It's really strange with so many BB users switching to a droid that no one has until now covered this important aspect, at least I could not find it covered after an exhaustive Google search.

JLB09

Reaction score
gmail push is pretty damn fast. i have noticed if i have my phone next to me and i am also on my laptop, my phone will usually alert me before my laptop does.

Yes I have found this almost always happens that the Droid notification for a Gmail happens faster than the laptop. It is very impressive.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sometimes my phone gets the message before my PC, sometimes the other way around. There's never been more than 15 seconds between each device making it's respective ding.