How many times have you... Dropped your phone before breaking it?

jplemt

Reaction score
Like the header says, how many times have you dropped your phone, before breaking it or cracking your screen? Did you have it in a case? I've dropped my Turbo a couple of times, luckily the case took the damage.

luddite

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S6 Edge Plus, S8, S8+
Dropped quite a few times, broken???

Nope, my phones receive their very own survival suit, in the way of a strong case, from the moment I get them.

The cases take the knocks.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I have my phone in an otter box. I've dropped it 3 times that I can recall.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Dropped one... OG Moto X, screen shattered. :-(

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

OP
jplemt

jplemt

Reaction score
I've thankfully, knock on wood, never broken one by dropping it. I have fallen on my phone from slipping on ice and smashed it. My fiancee smashed her S5 in the car door about 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately, I don't think a case would've helped in either scenario.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I have 3 or 4 cases as I like changing them out. Unfortunately, I have dropped my phone a few times. Fortunately, I have never damaged any of them.

luddite

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S6 Edge Plus, S8, S8+
I've thankfully, knock on wood, never broken one by dropping it. I have fallen on my phone from slipping on ice and smashed it. My fiancee smashed her S5 in the car door about 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately, I don't think a case would've helped in either scenario.
I have my Nexus6 in a Snugg case/stand which I would back against your fall and your fiancee's car door. :D
I have actually demonstrated its ruggedness to a friends teenage son who regularly destroys his phones (sans case) :D

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Dropped all my phones dozens of times, never a crack or even a scratch. Always keep them in tpu cases. My daughter use to throw phones like freesbee when she was a baby. They took a licking and kept on ticking.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I drop my phones from time to time. I'm good about not doing it for long stretches, but I get the dropsies once in a while and it can't be helped.

Only one I've ever broken was my OG Droid. I've shared this story in other threads, so I'll try to abbreviate it. I never had that thing in a case. I even dropped it once in the street as I was getting into my car. Back plate flew off and battery flew out. Few scratches. Nothing major. Fast forward a few months and I'm sitting on the throne, reading an article. I drop it and it lands on the heater vent. Cracked screen from corner to corner. Still worked like that and my cousin actually used it for quite a while after I upgraded.

Because of this, I'm a firm believer that it really depends on the angle of impact. I'm 6'2", so I dropped it from a good 5' or so onto the concrete and barely scratched it. Dropped it a couple feet onto the vent and cracked 'er good.

OP
jplemt

jplemt

Reaction score
If phones were round, there would be no corners to hit on. Lol but not practical yet. If anyone is an aviation buff, the first jet airliner used by BOAC in the UK was the deHavilland Comet, which had huge metal fatigue issues stemming from square cabin windows and the pressurization of the fuselage. Summary, square objects are weak in comparison to rounded objects.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
You guys know about my horrific workout incident and my Note 4 *sigh*.....it survived though!

Caelan Beake

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung note 2
I've never dropped my phone. But I accidentally stepped on it. It got spidery cracks on one side of the screen. It's been more than a year since that happened but the phone still works great.
It's an LG Optimus 2x by the way.

Reaction score
Could not recall dropping my phone not even once. I don't use cases but I always make sure I have either a tempered glass screen protector or a film protector on it just to be on the safer side.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Mine usually breaks on the first drop, which was the case with my Motorola Atrix 4G and Sammy GS3. My Moto X is in great condition. My Nexus 5 looks well used. I have dropped it umpteen times. The only issue I have had with it is the power button sticking creating a boot loop. Found a fix and have been fine ever since.