How is the Razr Maxx in the sun?

Apex89

Reaction score
Yeah I love my RAZR, don't get me wrong, but visibility in direct sunlight isn't one of its string aspects. It is better than the DROID 2 I used to have but it isn't great by any means. At least in my personal opinion.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Dude your way off. The reason moto used an AMOLED in the RAZR is because they are so thin. They don't require a backlight, as they emit their own, meaning thinner panels. It had absolutely nothing to do with power efficiency. The screen in the bionic is the most efficient screen on the market because it is RGBW pentile. This means that it has a white sub pixel, so the screen can display white without solely relying on the backlight. This means the backlight can remain at a lower level and still produce the same output as a typical RGB screen. Also, it gives you unmatched brightness levels for visibility in direct sunlight. OLED if great for deep black levels and excellent contrast ratios, but when it comes to power efficiency, it's not one of their strong suits.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

After some looking around, you're right that I'm off, but I'm not way off. The "advanced" portion of the super amoled advanced panel is for increased efficiency versus normal super amoled screens. While thinness is the main reason for using a super amoled screen, Motorola went with the advanced panel versus a regular super amoled panel because it gets the RGBG screen closer to the RGBW in terms of efficiency.

But as for the actual topic at hand, I find the screen on the MAXX to be better in direct sunlight than I did with the screen on the Bionic. And when taken as a percentage of what is using the battery, the screen on the MAXX accounts for less battery drain than the screen on my Bionic did. Perhaps the difference is system tweaks, or maybe I had a Bionic with a screen defect. Either way, the screen on the MAXX is very usable in direct sunlight.

Yeah I love my RAZR, don't get me wrong, but visibility in direct sunlight isn't one of its string aspects. It is better than the DROID 2 I used to have but it isn't great by any means. At least in my personal opinion.

No smartphone screen is great in direct sunlight. It's just a limitation that they all have right now. But the RAZR/MAXX is better than most.

diablo81588

Reaction score
After some looking around, you're right that I'm off, but I'm not way off. The "advanced" portion of the super amoled advanced panel is for increased efficiency versus normal super amoled screens. While thinness is the main reason for using a super amoled screen, Motorola went with the advanced panel versus a regular super amoled panel because it gets the RGBG screen closer to the RGBW in terms of efficiency.

But as for the actual topic at hand, I find the screen on the MAXX to be better in direct sunlight than I did with the screen on the Bionic. And when taken as a percentage of what is using the battery, the screen on the MAXX accounts for less battery drain than the screen on my Bionic did. Perhaps the difference is system tweaks, or maybe I had a Bionic with a screen defect. Either way, the screen on the MAXX is very usable in direct sunlight.

I was under the impression that "advanced" was just a moto coined term to mean higher resolution than a "plus" display. I could be wrong on that though, haven't researched it. All these stupid marketing terms like "super", "plus", "advanced", and ESPECIALLY "retina" are straight up annoying.

On a side note, don't think I'm downing the RAZR in any way. It's a great phone, and in most ways better than mine. But, screen visibility and efficiency aren't a benefit.

Edit: found a great article comparing screen techs, and more importantly, brightness.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5198/motorola-droid-razr-review-a-better-clad-bionic/4

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

dsprik

Reaction score
The main problem I have is that I am 100% a polarized sunglass wearer. The worst possible position for viewing my Razr is in the the position I prefer to have it for about 80%-90% of my viewing - in the portrait mode - whether I am in the car or outside. I get an almost totally black screen unless I tilt my head sideways. Quite a pain actually...