Google Response To Oracles

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
google.jpg

Well after a long vow of silence from Google, they have finally responded and Engadget has a detailed write up for us. I for one am very lost (checkout my sig) on this topic, but since this effects us, I think we should know a little about it.
After Google was sued by Oracles, they did not respond or anything, and now we know what this whole battle is about and why Google is on the wrong:

Google uses a subset of the Apache Harmony Java implementation in Android.
Sun open-sourced Java Standard Edition under the GPL in 2006 and 2007, but didn't include a patent or copyright license with the code. In order to get that license, developers have to demonstrate compatibility with the Java specification.
The only way to demonstrate compatibility with the Java specification is to use Sun's Technology Compatibility Kit, or TCK, and Sun / Oracle and Apache have been bickering about the license for the Java TCK, or JCK, for years. (That's putting it lightly, actually. It's been more like a war.)
The only license Sun ever offered Apache for the JCK included significant "field of use" restrictions, including a restriction on mobile phones.
Because of these restrictions, Apache's never taken a JCK license to test Harmony.
Oracle used to be on Apache's side in demanding Sun loosen up the JCK licensing restrictions, but that changed as soon as it bought Sun out.
Google thinks this is very bad, and that Oracle and Sun are just big bullies who don't want Java to be open, even though being open is super amazing.

That's where Google stops, right at the part where unchecked corporate greed threatens to destroy a open-source project and your heart swells with sympathy. It's a good place to stop! But the logical and unstated endpoint to this narrative isn't quite as good:

Because Apache doesn't have a license to test Harmony with the JCK, it doesn't have a license for Sun's Java patents and copyrights either.
Part of the reason Apache wants a JCK license is to assure its users they have the necessary IP rights.
Google knew all this and used parts of Harmony in Android anyway.

Now if that does not make sense to you, I know how you feel.

I guess all I took out of this is Android is becoming that cool bad boy we all wanted to be in High school.... Fonzie-Droid we can call it.

Thanks for the explanation Enagadget

V

Vergina_Droid

Woe is Google

Is this why there are so many apps that have suddenly vanished from the market? There is literally no mp3 download apps. That wicked 360 Live app that was my mobile gaming HQ is also gone. This is Google's way of cleaning house and making sure they don't get multiple copyright lawsuits, I wonder? Either way, I really just want my 360 Live app back.