How does this OTA update (GB) work?

Xerofire22

Reaction score
What's the process with the ota update? I've only had my dx for about 2-3 months. Does it take long? Do you lose all your data?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

wyld

Reaction score
Its kinda like a factory reset when its released it will ask you if you want to update now of wait another 12 hours or you might be able to pull it off the server your self by doing a system update check but his they did when we got 2.2 Froyo never know things may changed! Lol

repo_man

Reaction score
But does it wipe your data? (like a full flash/sbf thing)? Will we need to have everything backed up before the OTA update?

Reaction score
No. Think of a custom rom as a carpet bomb, it basically deletes everything. Think of an OTA as a precision missile. It only updates the files it needs to, while leaving everything else intact. No need for a backup.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

repo_man

Reaction score
No. Think of a custom rom as a carpet bomb, it basically deletes everything. Think of an OTA as a precision missile. It only updates the files it needs to, while leaving everything else intact. No need for a backup.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Have you ever used windows update? Same concept.

Gotcha. Thanks! Most helpful. :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

So you're saying that after the update his X will crash and brick?dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

Just kidding, that's an excellent way to describe it. I just happen to be a Mac person. And yes, we get updates too.

Jester6x

Reaction score
So you're saying that after the update his X will crash and brick?dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

Just kidding, that's an excellent way to describe it. I just happen to be a Mac person. And yes, we get updates too.

So I had clockwork running on my X and I found a way to delete it through root explorer so I can accept the GB OTA. Is there a way to be sure that clockwork is completely gone and I have the stock recovery back and can accept the OTA?

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score

hahaha...Macs recieves updates?...:icon_eek::)dancedroid

i would love to own a Mac..

...like the person explain using the missile analogy:), a back up isn't needed

OP
X

Xerofire22

Reaction score
Got it, thanks guys.

repo_man

Reaction score
When will I/we get the OTA GB update? I just had my DX manually check for updates and didn't get anything.