How does the Official Droid X Car Mount charge the phone?

Child_of_Bodom

Reaction score
I don't have my Droid X and the Car Mount yet. (Droid X is still shipping) But i am thinking of buying the car mount too. It says that the mount "keeps the phone charged."

Does this mean i don't have to buy the separate car charger? Does the mount come with the charger and i just have to plug it in the car?

Thanks.

demonhawk1313

Reaction score
You will have to use a car charger as it doesn't come with one. It only comes with a 6ft 3.5mm cable to plug into your stereo. The charger plugs into the back of the dock so you don't have to manually plug the phone in separably.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
it doesn't charge the phone, only holds it in place and comes with 3.5 audio jack to connect to car's aux input. you need a separate car charger to charge it.

demonhawk1313

Reaction score
It does charge the phone, but you must first plug a car charger into the back. Once you have this plugged in you won't have to do it again. I actually prefer this because if it was hard wired and had a problem you would have to replace the entire thing rather then a cheap charger. I was plugging both in before I got the dock and find this much easier.

Reaction score
i was going to buy it but i wasnt sure if i would use it as often as the regular charger. although if you are using it as a navigation it would work out well i think

fseddy

Reaction score
aux port to docking station

Forgive me for my incredibly stupid question but can anyone explain exactly where the aux input port is? I am a complete tech idiot, all I want is for my droid x to be able to play my music and have the navigation work properly. I have a docking station ordered.

Johnnysyeah

Reaction score
The aux input port allows you to listen to music or phone calls or any audio in general from your phone through your car's speakers.
But this is assuming your car has an auxiliary port available; old cars tend to not have it.
It's 3.5 mm so it'll connect from your Droid X to your car port.
I use that to listen to Pandora radio on my phone as I hate the radio stations: massive commercials and they play the same 15 songs over and over again.

fseddy

Reaction score
Thanks, but as I said, I'm pretty dense. The 3.5mm cable obviously connects on one end to the docking station and the other end goes to the audio input. I just have no idea of where the audio input is located. I have a 2006 Ford F250 truck with all the bells and whistles.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Thanks, but as I said, I'm pretty dense. The 3.5mm cable obviously connects on one end to the docking station and the other end goes to the audio input. I just have no idea of where the audio input is located. I have a 2006 Ford F250 truck with all the bells and whistles.
Are you asking where the Audio Input is on your Phone or your Truck?

If its your phone, then the 3.5mm cable can plug directly into your phone by using the 3.5mm headphone jack on the top left corner of the phone as it is facing you.

If it is your truck, then I suspect that the 3.5mm Audio In port would be located either directly on the face plate of the stereo, or near abouts on the dash board. I have 2 F350 Dually`s at work, and on both of them the Audio In port is located on the RIGHT side of the center dashboard...not on the actual stereo head unit. (Pictured below, click it to make it larger, is an `08 King Ranch F250, should be about the same as far as reference)

Hope this helps...

Ansextra

Reaction score
I just ordered the car dock with charger online. If I'm understanding correctly I just have to plug the charger into the dock and somehow the phone will stay charged? How does that work?

DaddyRabbit

Reaction score
I just ordered the car dock with charger online. If I'm understanding correctly I just have to plug the charger into the dock and somehow the phone will stay charged? How does that work?

There is a micro USB port in the cradle that the phone connects to when you insert it.

grundrc

Reaction score
Question. Do you have to remove whatever protective skin you have on your unit in order for it to fit into the cradle? You do have to remove the skin for the home cradle. That's not bad at home, but would be a pain if you had to do it everytime you got into your car.