How does the driod incredible work with the 160 character limit verizon has?

Twista89

Reaction score
you can probably download handcent on the incredible as well and it will automatically split it up into two messages for you....

Dmoralize

Reaction score
My droid always sent the whole text message, I would just always get an annoying message back from Verizon about the amount of characters. I downloaded an app called smsguard which let me block those bounceback messages from Verizon.

As was already mentioned, Handcent works too, but this is an alternative as I preferred the stock messaging app.

Penguissimo

Reaction score
My droid always sent the whole text message, I would just always get an annoying message back from Verizon about the amount of characters. I downloaded an app called smsguard which let me block those bounceback messages from Verizon.

As was already mentioned, Handcent works too, but this is an alternative as I preferred the stock messaging app.

Just a quick question: did you ever follow up with your contacts about whether they actually got the whole thing? Whenever I get the "We only send the first 160 characters" message, it always turns out that the person on the other end really does only get that many.

Ej4

Reaction score
I tested this on my phone. I typed quite a few characters to my friends phone (not Verizon). He got the whole message in 3 texts. And I didn't get any message saying about the 160 character limit. Using the default messaging.

Dmoralize

Reaction score

Just a quick question: did you ever follow up with your contacts about whether they actually got the whole thing? Whenever I get the "We only send the first 160 characters" message, it always turns out that the person on the other end really does only get that many.

Yeah, I tested it out with my girlfriend and she was getting the whole message. Maybe Verizon finally disabled those stupid bounce back messages on their own though. I just assumed the smsguard program was still blocking them.

Jer

Reaction score
I'm going to uninstall Handcent and run the stock SMS app for a while. Handcent is VERY buggy and sloooow. I've messaged the developers since November telling them to work on the speed and bugs more and stop throwing more things at it like Christmas cards and crap. I'm not sure what I will miss by uninstalling it but I have a feeling I will wish I had done this MUCH sooner. The 160char was one reason why I installed it right away because I was under the assumption that anything beyond 160char was just lost entirely. Now that I hear the system splits them up automagically I have no need for this app. I get a lot of missed messages and double texts so I'm hoping 86ing Handcent also alleviates this as well.

Penguissimo

Reaction score

Yeah, I tested it out with my girlfriend and she was getting the whole message. Maybe Verizon finally disabled those stupid bounce back messages on their own though. I just assumed the smsguard program was still blocking them.

Brilliant, thanks...I'll have to give it another try now! I never did understand why they could spare the trouble and bandwidth to tell me my message was too long, but not just send a second message with the extra characters...

Jer

Reaction score
I texted my buddy yesterday who is out of state and on a back woods wireless provider. I sent a message long enough to take up three full messages @ 160char and he received all three w/o incident. I promptly deleted Handcent and turned my Messages notifications back on and am much happier. I never realized how incredibly buggy Handcent was and I think it was causing the double texts I was getting/sending. So far with the stock app not a single double message. Not as pretty but I don't even care now... just wish I had done this a LOT sooner since I've been using it since Nov thinking I had to because of the 160 char limit issue w/Verizon.