How do you get dispose of your old smartphone and other hardware?

Caelan Beake

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung note 2
Do you sell them in junk shops? Or maybe trade them in when you buy a new one?
Is there a proper way of disposing hardware?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Depends. Swappa to sell if it's worth anything or I donate to a charity.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I always keep at least one old one as a spare, so depending on how often I switch devices, they're pretty out-dated by the time I decide to get rid of them. I often just give an old phone to a friend or family member or sell it to them for a steal.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
As others have said, depends on the phone & situation. With a family of 4 all with smart phones I keep 2 spares at all times. I have sold phones on Swappa, sold some on a local yard sale website, I avoid Craigslist at all cost (nothing but scams), and have donated other old phones to family members, friends and charity.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've still got my first Microtac and every phone since, the only one I ever got rid of (Nokia corded mobile phone) was because my X wife wanted it as part of the divorce.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've still got my first Microtac and every phone since, the only one I ever got rid of (Nokia corded mobile phone) was because my X wife wanted it as part of the divorce.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
Afraid they're gonna come back in style & you'll be left out...?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
There are charities out there that will be glad to take your old phone off your hands. You may even get a tax deduction...

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Afraid they're gonna come back in style & you'll be left out...?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I still grab an old LG flip phone every now and then and imitate Jethro Gibbs
Nah they just end up in a box somewhere . Many don't even have a GPS chip so they're good only add being used as toys, music players, whatever. I'll show them to my grandkids some day when they ask what a flip phone or dumbphone was.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
C

Caelan Beake

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung note 2
Thanks for the replies guys.
I was asking because we have a go-green program in our company right now and we're thinking of more ways to be more environmentally friendly. We even hired a company to do continuous monitoring for as in the interim.
We have so many unused hardware and maybe we can encourage our employees to also bring their old cellphones. Then what we've collected we can sell or something and the proceeds we can donate to a charity.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for the replies guys.
I was asking because we have a go-green program in our company right now and we're thinking of more ways to be more environmentally friendly. We even hired a company to do continuous monitoring for as in the interim.
We have so many unused hardware and maybe we can encourage our employees to also bring their old cellphones. Then what we've collected we can sell or something and the proceeds we can donate to a charity.
If you have that many, there are many charities that will take them off your hands for you. A quick Google search will provide a lot of charities that collect used phones for good causes.

I recently gathered over 50 old phones from the company I work for and donated to one of our local high schools when my daughter told me about a program they were collecting for.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I still have the last two phones I used. Kept thinking of selling them but never got around to bothering with doing so...so now they're just sitting in a drawer, unused.

When I moved to the Galaxy Nexus, I did sell the previous phone on Craigslist. It was the Droid X. After the Nexus I got the Moto X and thought I'd sell the Nexus, but never did. And now that I've got the S6, I was going to try selling the Moto X...but like I said, they're still here taking up space.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Donating them to a battered woman's program would be a wonderful choice. Many of these women are living below poverty and couldn't afford a phone. Even if they can't pay for service at least the phones can dial 911.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Donating them to a battered woman's program would be a wonderful choice. Many of these women are living below poverty and couldn't afford a phone. Even if they can't pay for service at least the phones can dial 911.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
+1. I gave 6 phones to them one time, and 2 phones on another occasion. That's one of the many options I was referring to with my comment about a quick Google search will reveal many, many good options for donating used phones. Anytime we can help other people that are down & out is a win and a good feeling