For your next phone, will you be getting one with a hardware keyboard?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Probably won't get a phone with a hardware keyboard honestly, I mean this one on the Droid does come in handy every now and then, but I would rather it feel like one solid piece of equipment...not like it might slide open or fall apart when I grab it lol, or slide open in my pocket...

Two words: Duct Tape. Holds well and looks stylish - kind of a Raiders custom themed phone. :)

BachinPhx

Reaction score
I love my Moto Droid. That being said, I couldn't tell you the last time I used the physical keyboard. I think maybe a month ago I said "Hey, you have a physical keyboard. Why not use it? " So I did, and I still don't like it. So, when this phone without the keyboard hits, I am on it like white on rice. I have very large fingers and have no issues using the virtual keyboard in either portrait or landscape mode. BTW, check out GDE for your home screen. Very cool!! :)

lmapp

Reaction score
If I could get this phone without a physical keyboard, I would. Except for booting into recovery mode, I don't need it for anything.

I had a Treo 755p, and while I don't miss the phone it did have a very usable keyboard. It's sort of a paradox with me in that I love the landscape screen view, but a landscape-sized keyboard is a little much (for me).

qoncept

Reaction score
The physical keyboard on my Blackberry Curve was really good, but I can still type nearly as fast with the Droid's virtual keyboard. What it comes down to for me is size of the phone and screen. The Droid would be slimmer without a slideout keyboard, the Curve could have a bigger screen withou it's keyboard. So I doubt I'll have a keyboard again.

gatewayad

Reaction score
I like the weight of the Droid, it feels like a workhorse. Friend has N1 feels like an IPhone not impressed.
To answer your question, who needs a hard keyboard, my next phone will be in my glasses i will speak to open a virtual keyboard in front of me and tap and swipe the air to change apps :)

naman919

Reaction score
The physical keyboard on my Blackberry Curve was really good, but I can still type nearly as fast with the Droid's virtual keyboard. What it comes down to for me is size of the phone and screen. The Droid would be slimmer without a slideout keyboard, the Curve could have a bigger screen withou it's keyboard. So I doubt I'll have a keyboard again.

My Tour (and your Curve) is actually thicker than the Droid.

Tour = .56"
Curve (8900 the thinnest) = .53"
Droid = .50"

Huge screen and physical keyboard FTW! :icon_ banana:

big.daddy

Reaction score
i never use the hardware keyboard, the keys are too close together and i have big fingers. every time i use the v,b,n, or m keys my finger also hits the space bar. this is very frustrating for me. If they did away with the directional pad and utilized that space to space out and center the keys it would make for a better keyboard.

Maxbender

Reaction score
Yes. First solid keyboard Android phone that comes to Verizon that performs otherwise as well as the Droid - I am getting it.

10yck

Reaction score
I love the hardware keyboard. I have bigger fingers and the hardware keyboard makes it much easier to type rather than pecking out letters on the screen. Hardware keyboard is a must in my case. Besides the newer version of Droid software, it was the main reason for not going with the Droid Eris.

C3-PO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V20
I was a die-hard physical keyboard user . . . Palm 650, HTC 6800. and the Droids physical keyboard was the main reason I got the Droid. But after having it for about 3 months now, I find that I never use the physical keyboard anymore.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I like the option of a hardware keyboard. When I upgrade it will be to the next Moto Droid so hopefully it will have a physical keyboard if not I can deal with it.

Physical keyboard, while important, is not a deal breaker for me.

qoncept

Reaction score
My Tour (and your Curve) is actually thicker than the Droid.

Tour = .56"
Curve (8900 the thinnest) = .53"
Droid = .50"

Huge screen and physical keyboard FTW! :icon_ banana:
Right, but the Nexus One and Eris are thinner. If I could lose the keyboard and still have Verizon and a big, high res screen, I would. The physical keyboard is 100% worthless to me as the virtual keyboard is a ton easier to type on. And the fact that it's there means we don't have a track ball, which would make correcting text while using the virtual keyboard a lot easier.