how. do i prevent apps from opening themselves

mikefire912

Reaction score
How do I keep things from opening and running in the background all on their own? I have the task killer app but I can't keep them from opening up.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You don't, that's how Android works. Also why Task Killers aren't needed and can actually cause problems.

DroidForums Junkie!!

LaxzBro

Reaction score
The apps are opened because Motorola says so. Not a whole lot you can do with rooting and ROMing. and delete ATK. Its bad.

Lax bro, closet geek

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not Motorola, Android all together (Linux)

The apps are opened because Motorola says so. Not a whole lot you can do with rooting and ROMing. and delete ATK. Its bad.

Lax bro, closet geek

DroidForums Junkie!!

kingsway8605

Reaction score
Android doesn't like to waste ram. So Android will store applications frequently used in free ram to speed up the phone. Once ram is needed, the prestored apps are cleared out of ram so quickly that the user doesn't even realize they were there.

Ram does not use battery, processor use does. The apps in ram shouldn't be using the processor but it does happen occasionally if the app is poorly coded. Reading reviews and looking for apps showing up in the battery usage when it has barely been used is a way to identify these poorly coded apps.

That said, some manufactures are intentionally coding apps to stay in ram regardless of how often they are used. The phrase is "lock in memory." Only essential apps (launcher, alarms, mms, etc) should be locked in ram. However some manufactures are locking nonessential apps in memory (slacker radio, bing, city id, etc). They do it for money from the company that makes the app. It is called bloatware. Moto has a bad rep for doing this. Say the phone has 512mb of ram, well Moto will lock slacker radio in memory no matter what, even if the ram is needed. Slacker radio performs better at the cost of everything else on the phone. It is as if that ram didn't exist to any app except slacker radio. The solution to this is rooting and installing a custom rom.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you're not actually using an app, it will sit idle. Only when you are running it or using a widget, will it consume resources. And at that, its negligible. Your battery hog is your display. Lower the display when you van to save battery.

igknight

Reaction score
If you are rooted, you can you can get something like Autostarts to potentially stop programs from loading when you boot. There are a lot of programs I have installed that I don't need/want running when I boot up.

Just a warning, some programs will not function properly at all if you disable them using programs like these.