How do I get the Contacts tab back in the Phone app on Ice Cream Sandwich?

dhinged

Reaction score
All I see is Dialer, Recent, and Favorites... no Contacts tab or button. I have to go to the homescreen and tap the People app, which ironically gives me a button to go to the dialer.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Just hit the search button.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Edit: Oops. A double post somehow. :blink:

OP
dhinged

dhinged

Reaction score
Am I old-fashioned for preferring to scroll through my contacts without having to back out of the keyboard?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Am I old-fashioned for preferring to scroll through my contacts without having to back out of the keyboard?

No, I would prefer that as well. But, since inserting a contacts tab in the stock dialer app isn't an option Google provides, that's the only way to get into the contacts from the dialer without backing out of it.

Personally, with the change, I prefer to just open up the People app and then jump into the dialer with the button there if I need to. It's no different than opening the dialer and tapping on a contacts tab. I guess it was decided that there was no reason to add a contacts button to the dialer when the search button gets you there.

Edit: Actually, as it turns out, you don't have to back out of the keyboard. Just start scrolling above the keyboard, and it goes away. I don't know why I didn't try that before.

brucefulton

Reaction score
Just touch above the keyboard and start to scroll. It's not necessary to "back out" of the keyboard.

altjx

Reaction score
The People app truly sucks, as the filtering options don't allow you to show only contacts with mobile numbers. Therefore, you end up with a trashy list of contacts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
You do know that you can also just start typing their name out on the dialer and it will populate their phone number, thus eliminating the need for searching or a separate tab for contacts.

awriternot

Reaction score
This change drives me crazy too. I just loaded the contact icon on my dock. Right in the bottom center (its really small) is a dialer option.

BuckeyeSeabee

Reaction score
The People app truly sucks, as the filtering options don't allow you to show only contacts with mobile numbers. Therefore, you end up with a trashy list of contacts.

I'm struggling with this also. I like having pictures with my contacts, so I include my facebook account, but then I end up with 600 contacts, and only 200 phone numbers... What happened to the feature "only display contacts with phone numbers"? Sometimes they need to learn to leave "well enough" alone.