How do I clear the message app

maltese210

Reaction score
After I get a text message on my samsung galaxy S3 the message app will say 1, 2 ...and so on depending how many unread text messages I got and have not viewed.
Once I read the message I cannot delete the number on the app.
Does anyone know how to do this? The message app will keep that number unless I restart the phone and the message app number disappears.
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

kaylesworth

Reaction score
After I get a text message on my samsung galaxy S3 the message app will say 1, 2 ...and so on depending how many unread text messages I got and have not viewed.
Once I read the message I cannot delete the number on the app.
Does anyone know how to do this? The message app will keep that number unless I restart the phone and the message app number disappears.
Thank you in advance!

When you open the messaging app, you will see a list of messages. The unread messages will be at the top. You have to open the message by tapping it. When done hit the back button to back out. You will see the message counter reset to the number of unread messages or disappear completely after you have read them all.

OP
M

maltese210

Reaction score
When you open the messaging app, you will see a list of messages. The unread messages will be at the top. You have to open the message by tapping it. When done hit the back button to back out. You will see the message counter reset to the number of unread messages or disappear completely after you have read them all.

I have done that, I will delete ALL messages and the phone app will not take off the number 1. If I have no text messages or have read and deleted them ALL... the phone still says I have 1 somewhere!

OP
M

maltese210

Reaction score
????

we are talking about PHONES not the STORM. ty anyway

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Does the number stay even if you close out the app!? I know a lot of times if I just close out the app the number will disappear.

we are talking about PHONES not the STORM. ty anyway

That random comment was spam, its been deleted.

"Don't Panic!"
Tapatalk 2_Nexus 7

togasko

Reaction score
I have the same problem!!!

I even tried deleting the app and reinstalling it, which worked for 2 min til I got a new text. Im really frustrated and we seem to be the only two people with this problem. Im going to call samsung tom, to see if they have any solutions?

KVT

Reaction score
Message notification

omg i have the same problem with my galaxy s3 ! Even after deleting and re-installing the application the stupid problem keeps appearing as soon as a new message pops up. Other than that, I have to keep re-starting my fone for the notification to go away. Even after I have read the message the notification keeps appearing and its soo annoying!

jerseyshoreDJ

Reaction score
How to fix SMS notification problem. Go to Settings>Application Manager>All> Messaging> Disable. Go back to home screen and make sure it has disappeared. Repeat procedure above except scroll down to bottom and select Messaging> ENABLE.
Go to section where your APPS are and locate Messaging Icon and drag back to Home Screen. Then while on Home Screen click and drag Messaging Icon to bottom of screen back where it was.

It worked for me! Hopefully I helped. Let me know. Also works if having Email problems also.

Edecker

Reaction score
Cant get rid of the number in the orange circle.

I am having the same issue with the messaging app. If a text comes in, the number of texts is shown in an orange circle on the app. If I read the message, it stays there. I can only get rid of it by deleting the message.:mad:

troy1387

Reaction score
i found that its easiest to hold down the home button for the task manager. slide the message app out to close.

and if that doesnt work... open the task manager again and click on task manager then force kill the message app.

Babs_BB

Reaction score
problem with samsung galaxy 3s message app

I am having the same issue. Came here looking for answers. I have tried double and triple checking all my messages to make sure I haven't overlooked something. The message indicator stays on until I restart my phone. It just started doing this last night and is very frustrating.

Babs_BB

Reaction score
I tried all the suggestions but none of them worked. I have had my phone for about two weeks and just started having problems with this yesterday.

Last edited:

SilentEcho

Reaction score
Has anyone figured this out yet? I'm getting the same issue and nothing has worked as a permanent solution. Very frustrating.

klims106

Reaction score
I also experiencing the same issue. Phone rzrM with Verizon. Anyone with a permanent fix?

JM