Hotmail Problems

theproman23

Reaction score
First let me see I am ex Blackberry user so I really loved the email client on there. Saying that I do realize that I can't expect the same from the Motorola Droid as I know RIM made it's name through its email services.

I've set my Hotmail account, which is a plus account btw, through both the default app and I've also done so through the K-9 App. Neither app seem to be able to consistently download new mail that I am receiving. The default email app just keeps downloading the messages over and over and it'll give me a new mail notification but when I check to see for the new mail there's nothing there. K-9 on the other hand doesn't seem to do that but it still doesn't retrieve my new email. It says email connection error in the notification area and that's about it.

Any help on this will be much appreciate!! I am so using to getting my hotmail to my phone and managing it efficiently. Anything close to that will be great!

transfigure

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I am having the same problem. It does not seem to be particular to Hotmail - I have this problem with my Hotmail account, my Gmail account (in the Gmail app), and my personal domain POP3 email account. Here is my list of issues:

1. Email will sometimes not download for days (even though it's set to check every 15 minutes).

2. I will get notifications of new Hotmail/personal email 2 or 3 times in a row, even though notifications are set to OFF, but no new messages show up when I open the Email app.

3. Email will sporadically fail to send from any account.

4. Randomly, email will fail to display when I try to open a message. This happens in the Email app almost exclusively. Rarely happens in the Gmail app.

5. If I try to force either app to get new email it will just spin forever and get nothing. Sometimes force-quitting the apps and re-launching them will solve the problem; sometimes it won't. It does not matter whether I am connected to a WiFi network or not.

Do these apps really work for anyone? I have also tried K-9, and it is better at opening HTML email, but it is still very spotty at receiving email. I have not tried to send yet. On my iPod Touch, I use mBox Mail, which is a great app. I wish they would port it to Android.

I should also add that, while I am running Sholes 2.0.5, ALL of these problems were present with the stock 2.0.1 install.

Last edited:

Purgatory

Reaction score
this is something I have played around with and though you are mentioning a few problems I have myself, I have a thread already started here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/21940-email-solution.html

I do not have problems with my gmail accounts, but with the corporate email (POP3), I am getting the problem of pulling emails (gmail pushes them to your phone).

The problem with the new email and it just trying to refresh (spin), I have found that even in a good signal area, it means that the signal is going in and out (look at your signal/bars). And I am only using right now the default email client (no K-9), and I still have not rebooted my phone from when I started my test and am pulling emails on a regular basis. this is all while still downloading new and different apps, and just doing the normal thing with my phone that I would regularly do.