hot weather vs DROID RAZR

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i would not leave it in direct light or in a vehicle but it would probably be ok

OP
xtor

xtor

Reaction score
justin82 said:
i would not leave it in direct light but it would probably be ok

I never do, its in a otterbox holster and my shirt covers it

point of origin

Reaction score
It gets hot here in AZ (114 this week). My Razr gets hot, but never malfunctions. When I was on stock GB, it would dim the screen and say that the screen would stay dim until the device cooled down. It hasn't done this on other ROMs I've flashed though.

I read an article a couple years ago that says when the battery reaches a certain temperature, it permanently decreases it life. It hasn't happened to my Razr and never did my OG Droid though.

flyinace

Reaction score
I live in Phoenix, AZ too and occasionally do some construction work outside in the heat. I've noticed that when I leave my phone in my pocket, it will get surprisingly warm and the battery dies much faster. It gets hotter than I'd expect even considering i'm in the outside heat. Its almost like the phone is using a lot of CPU for something. I even make sure all non essentials (like wifi, bluetooth, 4G, GPS) are turned off. I can't help but wonder if the phone is analyzing all the movement in my pocket even though there is not an app running which is using the accelerometer data. Or maybe the radio i working harder than normal because of interference cause by my movement. Either way, it is very peculiar to me.

SallyC

Reaction score
I work outside, i wonder what effect these temps will have on my razr?

Per Motorola's site:

It is possible phones will become warmer during heavy use. This is normal behavior especially if you are transmitting data, talking for an extended period of time, or playing games or music on the device. In these conditions, the phone is transmitting and utilizing alot of power on the device which will generate heat.

Motorola phones manufactured in 2009 or later have a "cool down mode" function. This feature is designed to protect the battery and circuit board. If the internal temperature of the phone exceeds a certain temperature, the device will shutdown all functions except emergency calls. When this happens it will display a cool down mode message.
Once overheated, a phone will not regain full functionality until the internal temperature drops below this predefined temperature. Ensure you are not leaving the phone in locked cars, in direct sunlight, on warm or hot items such as heaters or radiators, or any location that produces heat that will heat up the phone.

If your phone is getting hot while charging, you should immediately disconnect the charger from the wall and the phone. Please follow the steps below to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Try plugging in another charger if one is available and see if the issue persist. If the charger is defective you should discard immediately or process for a warranty return if still under warranty.
  2. Check to ensure the charger are Motorola Original Equipment. While other 3rd party chargers may fit the device, they have not been certified and tested to Motorola's high standards and could damage your device.
  3. Inspect the phone to ensure there is no signs of liquid damaged that may have damaged the electronics in the phone. It is important to note that Liquid Damage is not covered under the Motorola Limited Warranty and that phones that have experienced liquid damage will not be repaired and will be returned by unrepaired.
If you still experience issues with the unit getting hot. Go to our repair troubleshooterhttps://globalrepairtools-uat.motorola.com/serviceandrepair/ to process the phone for repair.