Hot Spot

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Is it better to use the Droid Razr as a hot spot or get a jet pac hot spot?

Well that depends, would it be more convenient for you to have a hotspot and be able to use your phone, or is it convenient for you to.use your phone as a hotspot?? Its really all up to you.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I also forgot, what, if any, additional costs would you incur if you had a separate device for a hot spot? That would probably play a roll in my decision... :D

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
I also forgot, what, if any, additional costs would you incur if you had a separate device for a hot spot? That would probably play a roll in my decision... :D

Yea, running FoxFi as my hotspot (FREE) on my Bionic to my laptop is kind of laggy! Hit or miss on how fast my pages load up.
Depends on how fast the Networks running at the moment and how good of a signal you get! Tethering a bit faster.
Also, like if i'm on Yahoo, It wont let me post to comments, also does that on some other sites ??? Not sure whats up with that..Wierd!!!
But, Like the MAN said taffydd..."Free on your phone or pay extra for a separate device" I Like Free!!! dancedroid

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well that depends, would it be more convenient for you to have a hotspot and be able to use your phone, or is it convenient for you to.use your phone as a hotspot?? Its really all up to you.

Convenience having it ON the phone, yes. I often WIFI Tether my son on my old D2 off my RAZR while we're driving long trips. Keeps him busy and happy, keeps me happy and focused on driving! Frankly, there ought to be an insurance discount that pays for the full-blown Verizon Mobile Hotspot for just that purpose!

Additional costs, yes. Verizon charges an extra $30/month to add the "official" Hotspot feature, and I believe the stand-alone Verizon Mobile Hotspot is about $50 per month. Personally, the convenience of having it on one unit and the lesser cost make the stand-alone a no-go for my purposes. I am sure there are others out there that would get more "play" out of the portable one, using it to tether not only their phones (and therefore cut back on data if not on an unlimited plan), and also for a laptop, notebook, or tablet as well. I am sure it works better if you have 3 or 4 people all on it at once, rather than trying to saddle the RAZR with all that responsibility.

Finally, there's the new subject of the tiered plans that are coming, and the upgrade kicking you out of the Unlimited plan. These are a way to offload the big abusers, the ones who tether their laptops to the phone and do torrent downloading of music and movies, as well as other high-data users such as online gamers. IMHO, together, these two groups have effectively taken what was passively ignored by Verizon even though technically a breech of contract (Foxfi and other similar tools), and turned it into losing the Unlimited plan altogether.

I will say here, I have NEVER gone over even 4GB/mo even though I have the Unlimited plans on both parental phones, so I'm not an abuser (except on the very lowest level of actually using the hack to gain access). I see myself as someone that drives 65 in a 55 zone, where police won't pull me over unless I exceed the limit by 15mph, but if I am driving erratically or have a light out, I am at risk there. Analogous to the "free" hacks for wireless tether such as Foxfi, where using it is like driving 65, but using it and abusing it is like doing 80!. In other words, moderation will allow you to fly under the radar, so to speak, but use 85GB/month as some have reported, and you'll create problems for yourself and everyone else.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Convenience having it ON the phone, yes. I often WIFI Tether my son on my old D2 off my RAZR while we're driving long trips. Keeps him busy and happy, keeps me happy and focused on driving! Frankly, there ought to be an insurance discount that pays for the full-blown Verizon Mobile Hotspot for just that purpose!

Additional costs, yes. Verizon charges an extra $30/month to add the "official" Hotspot feature, and I believe the stand-alone Verizon Mobile Hotspot is about $50 per month. Personally, the convenience of having it on one unit and the lesser cost make the stand-alone a no-go for my purposes. I am sure there are others out there that would get more "play" out of the portable one, using it to tether not only their phones (and therefore cut back on data if not on an unlimited plan), and also for a laptop, notebook, or tablet as well. I am sure it works better if you have 3 or 4 people all on it at once, rather than trying to saddle the RAZR with all that responsibility.

Finally, there's the new subject of the tiered plans that are coming, and the upgrade kicking you out of the Unlimited plan. These are a way to offload the big abusers, the ones who tether their laptops to the phone and do torrent downloading of music and movies, as well as other high-data users such as online gamers. IMHO, together, these two groups have effectively taken what was passively ignored by Verizon even though technically a breech of contract (Foxfi and other similar tools), and turned it into losing the Unlimited plan altogether.

I will say here, I have NEVER gone over even 4GB/mo even though I have the Unlimited plans on both parental phones, so I'm not an abuser (except on the very lowest level of actually using the hack to gain access). I see myself as someone that drives 65 in a 55 zone, where police won't pull me over unless I exceed the limit by 15mph, but if I am driving erratically or have a light out, I am at risk there. Analogous to the "free" hacks for wireless tether such as Foxfi, where using it is like driving 65, but using it and abusing it is like doing 80!. In other words, moderation will allow you to fly under the radar, so to speak, but use 85GB/month as some have reported, and you'll create problems for yourself and everyone else.

What he ^^^ said :)

cjm09

Reaction score
I have a Droid Razr, and can't get the hot spot feature to work. I am trying to sync up with my Ipad. I turn on the hot spot, and it says it is connected to the Ipad, but can't get any service through the Ipad. Just says no conection available. My old HTC would sync up no problem, and my wifes Iphone syncs great. Any suggestions?

Thanks

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
What are you using to tether?

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

cjm09

Reaction score
not using anything to tether. Should be able to turn lon hot spot, and have device ( Ipad) see it a through Wi FI, as a router. Workes on my old phone, my wifes iphone, jsut not my Razr. it says it is hooked to the ipad, even gives mac address and IP but cant get any data through

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
That's why I asked how you were tethering. So your using Wi-Fi hotspot to tether. Try rebooting the phone.. I don't use hotspot myself.. I use foxfi which is the same thing, its just free.

You might consider trying it. I use it.to tether my ipad 3 all the time. Did it just today to pull down logic pro.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

cjm09

Reaction score
I tried the foxfi and get the same results. Either way, it says I am connected, even gives IP address and mac address but no data transfer. I tryed my laptop today, and same thing. Says it is connected, excellent signal strength, but no internet connection. This is a cracked phon, but a friend of mine has the smae phone on the same network with no problems. I spoke with my network provider (Telus) and there are no restrictions on my account, should work fine. Any ideas? possibly just a setting on the phone or an IP address issue?

Thanks

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
With FoxFi I have to turn on Foxfi, then toggle airplane mode. Make sure your signal bars are blue, then should be good to go.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

helron

Reaction score
Can someone please provide instructions as to connect a droid razor data plan to my iPad3. Bluetooth or hotspot? Don't I have to pay $20 for hotspot use? UGH!

helron

Reaction score
I can't do anything with my droid and my iPad 3.They don't like each other ; they don't want to talk to each other;they don't want to shake hands with each other -they just hate each other.

helron

Reaction score
With FoxFi I have to turn on Foxfi, then toggle airplane mode. Make sure your signal bars are blue, then should be good to go.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE

PLs provide exact steps o both devices. Airplane mode? On which device, neither one works for me. Am I doin it wrong that causes foxfi failure?

Last edited: