Homescreen issue

HughDawg03

Reaction score
I frequently visit these forums, but have always been able to work out my own issues until now. First, to give you some details, I have a Droid Bionic. It is rooted, but I'm running on a stock rom. I wasn't able to get the most recent update for the phone because it was rooted and I didn't have the patience to mess with it again. I believe it's running Gingerbread, but I'm not positive.

The other day, the background had changed by itself (something it has done before) and so I tried to change it. The phone turned itself off and rebooted. However, when it booted back up, it was at the stock lock screen, but the screen was unresponsive. The lock button and the silence button are visible on top of a pure black background, but both buttons are totally unresponsive. I can see the notification bar at the top, I can see that I have incoming text messages, but I can't access anything. I have WidgetLocker Lock Screen installed and at times that will appear and be entirely functional. All of the buttons are responsive, but whenever I hit one of them it goes right back to the stock lock screen which is totally unresponsive. I have buttons for weather, texts, dialer, calendar, etc., yet when I hit any of them, they all just lead to the stock lock screen on top of a black background and won't respond to anything.

I have tried several things to get this problem fixed. I have done a cache wipe and factory reset a number of times. The first time I tried, I was running into the Market error 492 and was unable to update or install any apps. I did anything cache wipe and factory reset and finally managed to get everything up and running. Then, when I went to send a text, the text sent and the phone turned itself off and went right back to the stock lock screen issue. I assume another factory reset will fix the issue, but I don't want to have to go through the entire process again, just for it to circle back to the same issue. I've been using Titanium Backup Pro to re-install all of my apps, system data, etc. I've though about not using Titanium and doing everything manually, but if it circles back to the issue again, that will be a lot of time wasted.

I have also tried to get the phone into safe mode by using this method to no avail:

Enable Safe mode

Power the device off.
Note Press and hold the Power button then select Power off.
Note If the device doesn't respond to input, remove and replace the battery.
Power button
Power the device on.
Note Press and hold the Power button.
When the Motorola Dual Core screen appears, release the power button then simultaneously press and hold Volume Up / Down keys.
Safe mode
Continue to hold the Volume Up / Down keys until Safe mode appears in the lower left corner..

I don't know if I'm hitting the buttons in the wrong order, but I've tried several times and it never does anything. The most I can do at this point is get my phone into recovery mode. If anyone has any suggestions or needs anything clarified, I will do my best. Thank you again for any help, it is much appreciated.

EDIT: I should note that when the phone is having the stock lock screen with black background issue, the power button will only shut the screen off. It will not turn the screen on or bring up a power off menu box. The only way I can get the screen to turn back on is by unplugging and plugging it back into a power source. I go into recovery mode by pulling the battery out and then turning the phone on and holding the up/down volume buttons. Thanks again.

Last edited:

rvcjew

Reaction score
sounds like your framework(easy to way to descried it is the gui of the OS) is messed up which means if you factory reset it just pulls the bad files again. you might need to do a FXZ restore(only do this as last resort and read it all before doing it!!!) you might also want to flash safestrap 3(3.11 is most up to date one) on another factory reset attempt as well so you can back up or flash another working rom later.

EDIT: found instructions on here for FXZ http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...install-246-ics-fxz-updated-10-24-2012-a.html

Last edited:

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
sounds like your framework(easy to way to descried it is the gui of the OS) is messed up which means if you factory reset it just pulls the bad files again. you might need to do a FXZ restore(only do this as last resort and read it all before doing it!!!) you might also want to flash safestrap 3(3.11 is most up to date one) on another factory reset attempt as well so you can back up or flash another working rom later.

EDIT: found instructions on here for FXZ http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...install-246-ics-fxz-updated-10-24-2012-a.html[/QUOTE

This is what I would suggest also except I would not use titanium to load the old system data as it could be corrupted. You can use it to load everything else.
I would also think about any new apps you may have loaded before this started happening and not load them.

OP
H

HughDawg03

Reaction score
I actually ended up flashing to 905 and then updating to the newest OS (ICS) from there. The help is much appreciated though. I have yet to root my phone again, mainly as a precaution, but thus far everything is running smoothly. Thanks for the help!