Home Replacement Apps: ADW Launcher

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well I spent most of last night and alot of today tinkering with the ADWLauncher EX, and I must say.... I LOVE IT!!

You're right Bilge, it's the most customizable one I have seen yet. I especially love the page transitions. It took a while tinkering with the icons to get them the way I like them, the "new icons" I wasn't really impressed with, but that's only because I made some custom icons for my phone.

All in all I love the app, it's well worth the couple bucks for it, and I have all my settings and configuration backed up now that I have it customized the way I want it.

5 star app as far as I'm concerned... :icon_ banana:

Thunder_sl

Reaction score
If you switch to the ex version do you have to redo everything? Do I have to start from scratch again?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Yes you do, its a whole different launcher than the open source 1.3.6. Its based off of it but yes you have to start over.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

jmarcel66

Reaction score
Just put in the ADW and love it. Having one problem I need help with. When putting a widget on the screen, it's not allowing me to move the widget to where I want it.

Looking for some help w/what I might be doing wrong.

Thanks,
John

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
If you are using ADW launcher version 1.3.6, then press your menu button, then press more. If your desktop is locked, you should have the option to unlock. If your unlocked already you should have the option to lock, just don't press it and press back.

Otherwise once you place your widget, to move it, just longpress on a widget, then a popup menu shows up, don't release yet and you can drag it around (like dragging around icons). You can resize by pressing "edit" when the popup menu shows up. Remove removes it from your homescreen and uninstall uninstalls it off your phone.

Reaction score
Missing Widgets

I now have the latest ADW Launcher EX installed. (Prior to tonight, I had ADW Launcher opensource.)

A couple of months ago, I noticed a few Widgets that had errors after upgrading a number of my Apps (so I am not sure if it was an upgrade to ADW or the App itself that did it). I removed the widgets and tried to recreate them, but it was a no-go, they are no longer in the list of available Widgets. The ones that I noticed no longer available to me are:

• Pandora Widget
  • Retro Camera (paid) Widget

Anyone have a clue as to where they went and/or how to get them back?

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
That's usually by somehow installing to your sd card

Reaction score
That's uaually by somehow installing to your sd card

A+ Response... moved them back to the phone and rebooted, they are back! Glad to know it was my doing and not something with ADW. LOVE the App!

timrock

Reaction score
ADWLauncer EX is great. So is it safe to assume that there is now no need for Desktop Virtualizer.

Also, is it possible to have more than one dock?

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
ADW has a "hidden" dockbar, you can access it by swiping up on the main dockbar. You can then place as many icons as you want in it.

As for desktop visualizer, I've never used it, so I'm not sure what your doing with it. ADW does have the ability to use any picture or part of a picture as an icon.

Sent from my A70H using DroidForums App

timrock

Reaction score
ADW has a "hidden" dockbar, you can access it by swiping up on the main dockbar. You can then place as many icons as you want in it.

As for desktop visualizer, I've never used it, so I'm not sure what your doing with it. ADW does have the ability to use any picture or part of a picture as an icon.

Sent from my A70H using DroidForums App

on adwlauncer ex, when you add an app to the screen or the dock, when you long press, you have the option to change the icon pic. thats basically what desktop virtualizer was for. but with adw, you have the ability to change the icon, the lable and the app, without having to start from scratch. not able to do that with DV. Once you place an app on the screen using DV, you cant change the pic by long pressing, you have to remove it, and then add it again.

ahhhhh, i see ability of the dock bar. cool feature. thanks

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Anytime, and yes, I love what ADW Launcher can do with custom icons/labels, too.

By the way, to make the hidden dockbar go away swipe down on it (and there is a setting that allows the hidden dockbar to close when you open an app from it)

timrock

Reaction score
I moved an app to the home screen and now its just stuck there. Can't move it, long pressing doesn't bring up the menu.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Have you accidently locked your homescreen? It disables changes. Press the menu button and see if "Unlock Desktop" appears, if it does press it.

It's an interesting feature, it allows you to "lock" your desktop to prevent any accidental changes. I think Anderweb added the feature after he made the App Drawer icon editable, and too many people accidently did actually remove their app drawer icon.