Holsters

lauriep

Reaction score
I work with horses, so am in a high dust environment all the time. I want a fold-over belt clip holster, but most I've seen have magnetic closures. I want a lot of protection, but easy access. I intend to leave the phone "naked" to start, so a snug fit is good. Any suggestions??? Also, must be secure belt clip, not cheap plastic, as I am hard on them.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
it seems as though many companies will be releasing holsters and or belt clips for this phone... you may want to steer clear of the ones that close with a magnet for the reason it could cause the phone to go into GPS or HOME mode.

i can promise you there will be several options from the VZW store at the release.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
it seems as though many companies will be releasing holsters and or belt clips for this phone... you may want to steer clear of the ones that close with a magnet for the reason it could cause the phone to go into GPS or HOME mode.

i can promise you there will be several options from the VZW store at the release.

I have heard this mentioned several times, but I honestly think that Motorola Accounted for this. I doubt that they would make a phone that would be impossible to build a case for. 80% of holsters use magnetic closure. I'm SURE you will be able to use magnetic closure. On my blackberries the magnet has to be in the EXACT spot to enable function.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

I have heard this mentioned several times, but I honestly think that Motorola Accounted for this. I doubt that they would make a phone that would be impossible to build a case for. 80% of holsters use magnetic closure. I'm SURE you will be able to use magnetic closure. On my blackberries the magnet has to be in the EXACT spot to enable function.

i agree on this... but will definatly try out the case before i buy it.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
All I have ever used are holsters with magents. I guess the only other options are some sort of button or velcro?

OP
L

lauriep

Reaction score
I agree with medicThree and can't believe they wouldn't have accounted for that, but somewhere in all the info I've read here over the last few days, I've seen something that advised against employees pushing holsters with magnetic closures. For a legit reason, or do they not know so don't want to take chances?

medicTHREE

Reaction score
I agree with medicThree and can't believe they wouldn't have accounted for that, but somewhere in all the info I've read here over the last few days, I've seen something that advised against employees pushing holsters with magnetic closures. For a legit reason, or do they not know so don't want to take chances?

My guess, they don't know. Honestly.

AM Son

Reaction score
I purchased the Eddie Bauer branded magnetic holster when I picked up my phone at Best Buy. It was all they had that would fit the Droid at the time...

Unfortunately it does exactly what people have been worrying about- it puts the phone into Navigation/ Dock mode every time I place it in the holster.

It's either going back to the store or going to be re purposed for my iPod Touch.

Sorry for the bummer news.

webby

Reaction score

The G1 has an actual micro compass in it (for Google Street View), which magnets in close proximity tended to screw up, so G1 owners learned to avoid cases with magnet closures (not easy). I don't know if the droid also has a micro compass in it. Anyone know yet?

I plan to buy a droid today. If I decide I want a belt clip, I will be buying a Seidio, once they have them available for the droid. IMHO, they have the best quality (and no magnets are involved).

Last edited:

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

The G1 has an actual micro compass in it (for Google Street View), which magnets in close proximity tended to screw up, so G1 owners learned to avoid cases with magnet closures (not easy). I don't know if the droid also has a micro compass in it. Anyone know yet?

I plan to buy a droid today. If I decide I want a belt clip, I will be buying a Seidio, once they have them available for the droid. IMHO, they have the best quality (and no magnets are involved).

from what i understand seido has no plans on making a case for the DROID.... this kinda upsets me because they make some of the best cases out there.

rlivin

Reaction score
I got a nite ize holster for my bb, hopefully they will make one that fits the droid. or it may fit in the one i got. I will get my droid tommorrow so i will check. Its the BEST ive ever had for protection.

Droidforums

Reaction score
I used a belt case with magnet closers and it TURNS ON the phone each time I slip it in there.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah just stay away from magnets unless it is a dock of some sort. Case + magnet = fail

webby

Reaction score
from what i understand seido has no plans on making a case for the DROID.... this kinda upsets me because they make some of the best cases out there.

I don't know where you heard that, but if I were a betting person (I'm not), I would be money that considering how successful the droid is already after 3 days, Seidio will eventually come out with both a case and a holster for the droid.

I spoke to a VZ rep at a call center last evening, and he said that they sold 700 droids already just that day, and just at that one call center. Multiply that by however many call centers they have, VZ stores, online sales, Best Buy, Walmart, Sears, Costco, and independent contract retailer sales, and I see no way that Seidio is going to ignore the market for such a hugely successful phone, when that is their business. That is just not going to happen