Hi, I'm Truly and I have a Gmail thread problem

trulyb

Reaction score
I'm new to smartphones with the Droid, but I really enjoy using mine. As a Gmail and Google calendar user, the integration with my existing email account and on-line calendar is a plus. I do a lot of volunteer work now, and there is a lot of email communication involved, often using a group email list. I'm often away from my desk, so my Droid is my lifeline.

I'm not sure if this is where I should post my question - I have a question about threaded messages in gmail. Only the last one shows, and that is a big problem for me since I get group emails where one individual may respond, blanking out the original message for me.

So where should I go with my long-winded question about this?

It's great to browse the Qs and As, though mine is not there....

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Hello Truly and welcome to the forums.

I'm going to move your thread to the general discussions area where it will get a lot of visibility.

There are a lot of great members here that love helping out users with issues such as yours.

I don't send group out group emails so I am not the best person to answer your question.

Sit tight and somebody will get you the help you need.

Thanks Truly

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm Truly glad you signed up Truly. I don't really deal with threaded messages much myself, but I believe if there's multiple threads, you can touch the reply you want to read and it will open it up. Hope this helps.

Newton122189

Reaction score
If you scroll up towards the top of the email there should be a spot that says messages or possibly the name of the person you emailed and you should be able to click on that to expand the older messages

angryunibrow

Reaction score
When I receive multiple threads in the same email I have the option at the top of the message that tells me how many messages are in the thread.

I'm looking at an email right now with 3 replies to it. So at the top of my email it says "3 read messages"

You can click on that and it will expand all messages in the thread for you to read in full, including all previous messages.

I hope this helps

OP
trulyb

trulyb

Reaction score
My gmail threading problem in more detail....

Thanks so much for moving me over! Maybe someone can help me?

So here are some more details. Maybe more than you want to know about it, but just to be clear....

I really love my Droid, but I've run into one stumbling block in using it with my existing Gmail account. Gmail threads email messages - nice, of course. But on the Droid, I can only see the last message! I can't seem to find any way to view the entire text of a preceding message. So if an important message comes to our mail group, and someone responds to it - and this happens ALL the time with a group email list that I'm on - then I can't even read the first, and more important, email.

If you're not dealing with group emails, it might not be so big a problem. You've at least gotten to read the original message because it came to you and you chose to reply to it, knowing that you'd lose access to the original message. You could then choose to send a new message to the original poster IF you wanted to preserve access to the original message AND were thinking ahead.

So here's a concrete example from a couple of days ago. I was traveling, and my regional field director sent out an email to our group with a link for each of us to use to sign up for a conference call, but before I could use it to sign up, someone responded with an email message. Then all I could see of the original message was, "There's a conference call this evening, and here's a link..." Literally, that's what I could read of it, a little text followed by an ellipsis. And after someone else responded, I couldn't even see that, just the beginning of the message preceding that following by....

If I had been in the gmail account on my computer at home, all of the preceding messages in the thread would appear below like the edges of pages, and you could click on one, and it would open to full text. On the Droid, if you click on the little snippet of text that's visible, it just opens a new window to compose a message to the author of the original email. Of the 3 buttons that show when the text is visible, the "Older" one only allows you to access the previous message in the inbox, not the previous message in the thread.

I tried both Verizon and Motorola, and they couldn't help, of course. The Motorola Droid rep suggested I go into settings while in the email account and uncheck "batch operations," but that didn't help - and I wouldn't have expected it to, since I think it just allows you to work on groups of messages together and doesn't change the threading function. Anyway, it didn't.

Anyone else have this problem? Any system setting change I am missing? :icon_eek:

Trulyb

OP
trulyb

trulyb

Reaction score
Please explain, Angriunibrow

Thank you, Angriunibrow. I just found the page edge function at the top of the message. It shows all of the messages, so I can click on any of those pages, just like the ones at the bottom of the messages in my computer inbox, and they open into the full message. You got me on the right track!

Thanks so much! I just didn't see the page edge lines at the top of the initial message that I can click to show the preceding messages. So simple when you see it! I love it when things fall into place!

Sorry for taking up space. Problem solved!

Trulyb:)

nerdbox08

Reaction score
The gmail email box on the Droid is set up just like the browser version, except tighter packed so you have to click the previous messages, which makes them expand to show the first part of the sentence/title, then you click on the one that you actually want to look at it.

OP
trulyb

trulyb

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you!

Man, that was quick! After suffering through "technical support" this afternoon, just a minute in this forum and the scales fall away from my eyes. There it is!

Thank you, one and all. So clear now! Yes! I feel sort of dumb. But I just didn't see them at the top!

Thanks again!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Man, that was quick! After suffering through "technical support" this afternoon, just a minute in this forum and the scales fall away from my eyes. There it is!

Thank you, one and all. So clear now! Yes! I feel sort of dumb. But I just didn't see them at the top!

Thanks again!

So now you know where to come for tech support : )

In all honesty forums are the by far the best place to get the quickest and most accurate tech support. The user base here knows more and will help you quicker than going through VZW/tech support.

I'm not knocking VZW because they work VERY hard and are EXCELLENT with their customer service and trying to troubleshoot but they are unable to reach the level of expertise you will find here.

Thanks guys for helping her out....

Don't be a stranger Truly. People come here to learn even more about the device and then get sucked into meeting some great people here and end up helping others.

Don't be a stranger.

OP
trulyb

trulyb

Reaction score
A new fan of the forum!

I have browsed about some, and I plan to do a lot more. I have a lot to learn about the phone, and this looks like the best place to learn it that I've seen. And folks do seem genuinely glad to help you out - even a newbie like me!

Thanks to you all, one more time. Lovely to find such willing help!

Trulyb:)