Help with rooting Thunderbolt

brockeverly

Reaction score
To start, I am not new to android or ADB, only HTC. I have been messing with Motorola android devices for years. I have downloaded the required RUU downgrade from the XDA thread at least 15x and every time I get finished and attempt to open it to move the files I get an error that says the .zip is invalid so I cannot move forward. Anyone else having this issue? I have downloaded the custom update and moved all files to platform-tools no problem, but it seems no matter what I do I cannot get this dang downgrade right. Thanks!

SithDroid2187

Reaction score
There is a great guide on thunderboltforums.com (or .net) I don't have the link right now but it has all you need.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

AlexSB

Reaction score
Look at the thread I created right below this one, I linked that guide on my original post. Great guide.

AWESOMEbolt

Reaction score
It happened to me too. I downloaded it about 10 times and it said the samething. I asked some one on www.thunderboltforums.com and they said try to put it on your sd card. I did and used astro on my phone to look at it and it showed all the files there. My problem is trying to get htc sync to connect to my phone so I can root.

AlexSB

Reaction score
It happened to me too. I downloaded it about 10 times and it said the samething. I asked some one on www.thunderboltforums.com and they said try to put it on your sd card. I did and used astro on my phone to look at it and it showed all the files there. My problem is trying to get htc sync to connect to my phone so I can root.

Are you using this guide?
[RS Guide] How to Root Your Thunderbolt

I followed it step by step and I couldn't be any happier, it covers the whole HTC sync drivers too. I think I'm going to make an account on TBforums just so I can say thank you to the OP of the guide lol

AlexSB

Reaction score
Yes I did. I dont know whats going wrong cause HTC Sync will not detect my phone which is not letting me root.

When you plug in your phone to your computer, do you select the "Disk Drive" option on your phone (you can pull down the notification bar and select it form there if it doesn't automatically pop up)?

I'm sorry I really don't know where you're stuck at...did you download the file off the HTC website? I think there's an auto-root method floating around the forums.

Reaction score
Yes I did. I dont know whats going wrong cause HTC Sync will not detect my phone which is not letting me root.

When you plug in your phone to your computer, do you select the "Disk Drive" option on your phone (you can pull down the notification bar and select it form there if it doesn't automatically pop up)?

I'm sorry I really don't know where you're stuck at...did you download the file off the HTC website? I think there's an auto-root method floating around the forums.

I have tried Disk Drive but I was told when doing the command prompt to keep it in charge only. And when I tried to connect to HTC Sync I used Htc Sync on the phone

AlexSB

Reaction score

I have tried Disk Drive but I was told when doing the command prompt to keep it in charge only. And when I tried to connect to HTC Sync I used Htc Sync on the phone

Oooooh there we go, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to keep it on disk drive the whole time. Also when you connect it to the computer Don't run anything from the phone don't use htc sync.

Also make sure USB Debugging is checked, it's under Settings > Applications > development

AWESOMEbolt

Reaction score
Well I have tried everything. I left it on Disk drive and tried everything and even went to command prompt started the prompts and it says devices attached and thats it. Doesnt give me my serial number or anything.

AlexSB

Reaction score
Did you make sure to download the 2 files, and placing them where they need to be, prior to running command prompt?

That's really all I can tell you other than making sure USB Debugging is checked prior to connecting your phone to your computer.

I followed the guide step by step and everything was fine. I suggest you start over from step one and If you're stuck on a specific step I can try and help you out, feel free to send me a PM (private message) so we can get off this man's thread lol just let me know if you want, so I'll know to check my messages

AWESOMEbolt

OP
B

brockeverly

Reaction score
Downloaded the downgrade from that link as well and I get the same error. I do not understand what is going on. This is the only zip file I have ever had an issue with.

phreek

Reaction score
Use disk drive mode to copy the files.over and then switch to charge only.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
B

brockeverly

Reaction score
If you are talking to me, I cannot copy the files regardless of mode. The zip file will not open to access the files to do anything with them.