HELP- Contacts issue URGENT

C3P0

Reaction score
I hijacked someones contacts problem thread in the general droid bionic forum but I'm putting it here for more exposure.

URGENT because I essentially cant access my contacts when I need to...takes minutes

Problem- I had a blackberry in between my D1 and Bionic. All the new contacts I got while on the BB we're obv not backed up to my google account. To resolve Verizon put all my contacts from backup assistant on my bionic. This essentially gave me all my missing contacts....but also created duplicates of everything once my google contacts synced. Contacts introduced from backup assistant WILL NOT back up/sync to my google account for some reason. Thus merge contacts cannot be used on a computer in gmail. Also I now have 1400 contacts or so due to the duplicates...so stock contacts freezes. Also trying to use aftermarket contacts such as GO Contacts to merge doesn't work. It only sometimes populates the contact list, and if i try to use the merge feature its too much for it to handle and I get a FC.

Please help!

I've gotten suggestions like hard reseting my phone, but I can't do that because I don't want to lose my contacts that were put on it by verizon, and that are not yet syncd to my google acct.

Rjohnson3452

Reaction score
Have you tried exporting your contacts to the sd card, then importing then back making sure to select your google account when you import them? I just did this with mine to test it and google handled it without duplicating everything. Just go to contacts, hit menu, manage contacts, then export to sd, then import to your google account.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
C

C3P0

Reaction score
Where am I choosing import and where am I selecting my google acct? I jus exported to SD card

Rjohnson3452

Reaction score
In the same menu for export there is an import option. If you already have selected google as the default location to save contacts it will not ask you, it will just start importing. If you haven't selected google as the default a popup will ask you to select google our your phones storage.

OP
C

C3P0

Reaction score
Ok my contacts randomly synced to my google account before I could hit export. only concern is not all my contacts on my phone are visible on my google acct

Rjohnson3452

Reaction score
If you have exported them to your sd card already, now import them now from your sd card, choose your google account for where to store the contacts and they should all appear in your g-mail.

OP
C

C3P0

Reaction score
My issue is that some of my contacts that I need are the motorola services contact type, but they wont sync with gmail. Any idea how to convert the type of contact it is? I just finished dealing with the issue of having 80,000 contacts and merging them (the motorola services contacts I believe are from backup assistant. when verizon put them on my phone, each contact had about 50 motorola services duplicates...I believe from every single auto-backup of my last phone (blackberry in between D1 and Bionic).

McGyver777

Reaction score
My issue is that some of my contacts that I need are the motorola services contact type, but they wont sync with gmail. Any idea how to convert the type of contact it is? I just finished dealing with the issue of having 80,000 contacts and merging them (the motorola services contacts I believe are from backup assistant. when verizon put them on my phone, each contact had about 50 motorola services duplicates...I believe from every single auto-backup of my last phone (blackberry in between D1 and Bionic).

This is what I did and it worked for me.
I exported all contacts to SD card. I then unmounted the card and removed it from the phone. Put card in my laptop and downloaded the backed up contacts file to my laptop.

Went into gmail and imported the contacts file. This made all of them Google contacts and none were from moto or Verizon. Gmail then can merge duplicate contacts and it is very good at doing it.

Verizon backup is the devil. Once started you can not opt out without a factory reset or root. Do not turn it on and do not sign up for it. It burns data daily without the option to stop it. Any contact under Verizon tag can not be under Google and it will infuriate you over time that those contacts are not synching to your gmail account. I have a post about this called "Verizon backup is the devil."

gsDroid

Reaction score
This may not be on point, but if you are sure the contacts are there, but you don't see them all: select Contacts > Options > Display Options > choose Google > make sure My Contacts and All Other Contacts are both checked. Mine was not by default and when I checked the All Other, all my contacts appeared.

OP
C

C3P0

Reaction score
Where can I find the contacts on the SD? I backed them up to SD. Also, is there a way once I put the contacts book into gmail on my computer to erase all contacts from my phone so google does a fresh import/sync with no moto contacts on my phone?

McGyver777

Reaction score
Where can I find the contacts on the SD?

Found file under main folded...not hidden at all or in any folder.

I backed them up to SD. Also, is there a way once I put the contacts book into gmail on my computer to erase all contacts from my phone so google does a fresh import/sync with no moto contacts on my phone?
Stop sync. ENSURE you have a viable backup. Delete all contacts on phone. Import contacts to gmail. Sync.

OP
C

C3P0

Reaction score
Lol dumb question but how does one delete all contacts