Hello world!

TeePwn

Reaction score
New droid 2 global owner here , got it a couple of days ago. I had a droid pro for a day, which I really liked, but typing with two hands was frustrating.

This is my first smartphone. I had the chance to get an iphone but opted for an android instead. That definitely would not have been my choice 2 years ago when the iphone was the only device of it's kind. Mostly I wanted a physical keyboard. Also, screw apple.

So I've never modded a phone in any way. I used to have rockbox on my ipod, which seems to be in the same vein.

I've been on the forums and treating them as read-only, but I'm considering rooting and obviously I don't want to mess it up. The subforums specific to d2g don't have as many threads as I expected and I still feel fuzzy on some specifics. Namely:

Do all hacks for droid 2 work the same on d2g?

I'm not sure if I really NEED to root my phone. I've already downloaded a couple of .apk's (games), put them on my sd card, run them on my phone from the card and installed them. One works fine, the other often crashes and throws the "force close" window. Idk if this is because I'm not rooted, or because I installed it wrong, or if the file itself was corrupt.

I'll save the rest of my ?'s for the droid 2/d2g subforums. Lates.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I really NEED to root my phone. I've already downloaded a couple of .apk's (games), put them on my sd card, run them on my phone from the card and installed them. One works fine, the other often crashes and throws the "force close" window. Idk if this is because I'm not rooted, or because I installed it wrong, or if the file itself was corrupt.

I'll save the rest of my ?'s for the droid 2/d2g subforums. Lates.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Welcome to the forums!

I'll let someone more familar with the D2 speak to the rooting process.

On the "downloaded a couple of apk's" I'm going out on a limb and guessing they didn't come from the market. That is probably a good way to get some malware on your phone, not to mention Df doesn't condone the "just grabbing stuff" that sometimes occurs out there on the internet. If that's not the case, I apologize.

A few months back there was a story in the news of an app that was copied from the market and just put "out there". Anyone who installed it granted it the permissions it said it needed and then it went and emailed, twittered, and I forget what else...to every contact the person had with a message "I just stole this application but recommend you go and download it from a place where the developer gets due recognition for their efforts"

The Amazon and the Google markets also display apps that work with your phone and attempt to not display, or let you download, ones that will cause you issues. Unless there is a real good reason to bypass the market I wouldn't recommend it. Amazon App store and Swype Beta are two good examples of doing a manual install.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome.

Droid 2 Globals are harder to mod. They're a more locked down phone unfortunately. There are a couple ROMs available though.

sent from my ApeX