Heat Concerns

papaandroid

Reaction score
New Smartphone/Dinc2 owner. I got this phone a week ago and I am absolutely thrilled with it and I want to do everything I can to treat it as it should be treated. My concern is with heat with a case installed. Phones naturally get 'hot' with use but if I am using the Navigation app or playing a game I know that the heat is not dissipated as readily as with a 'naked' phone.

Are my concerns warranted?

Droid noob

Reaction score
I also am interested in this. I was using navigation today and the phone got to about 105 according to my battery widget. It definitely felt hot even through the otterbox defender case i have on it

Sent 2 u via Incredible 2

Droid noob

Reaction score
That got me thinking...... I wonder if we use navigation for an extended trip and the battery were to somehow overheat, who problem would that be? Our fault, or our carriers?

OP
papaandroid

papaandroid

Reaction score
That got me thinking...... I wonder if we use navigation for an extended trip and the battery were to somehow overheat, who problem would that be? Our fault, or our carriers?

Thanks for responding. I was beginning to think I was alone in my concern. I too, have used the Navigation app and noticed that the phone was getting hot and wondered if this could cause a severe heat issue to the processor or other internal components. Apparently no one else chose to provide any input even though this is a warranted concern, IMHO.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
I have had the same problem with heating up while using navigation. However it was only while plugged into the car charger. I was charging because of the battery drain from the navigation use, its obviously a huge battery hog which is to be expected. I charged my phone last night in my truck with no heating up at all so its not the charger. I've seen a couple other posts about battery temp issues and it seems to be that 120 degrees is the warning point for lithium ion batteries. My MOTO Droid would run about 100-110 while overclocked to 1.1 ghz. I never had a battery problem in the two years I used it and now my sister is using it. I had one time when the temp went to 127 degrees and I immediately unplugged, powered off, and took the battery out. No damage was done to phone or battery. All in all I don't think a case will hurt the battery with temp concerns. If it did, the manufacturer's would tell us to use only their cases. Hope this helps!

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

Droid noob

Reaction score
I suppose we just go on using it however we want. I don't think the phone came with a battery temp gauge anyway. If the battery fries then that's on them. Never saw any documentation saying "make sure you don't use your phone too much or out will overheat"

OP
papaandroid

papaandroid

Reaction score
DFF, It would make sense that the manufacturers would warn against overheating when using a case. If it was a real problem. I just starting to think about it when using the Nav app and wondered how much heat the phone could take.

I would assume that the phone would reach a limit and shut itself down and not spontaneously burst into flames.

Dnoob, If it fries then yes, I would be first in line to have it replaced.

Thanks to you both.

DrElwinRansom

Reaction score
Glad to hear someone else talking about this. I agree that it really can't be on us if it fries.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
I have had no issues with how my Droid is made.

As far as heat while using navigation, if your rooted try underclocking your phone to 800mhz to see if that helps keep the phone cooler. That's what I do and unless I'm driving straight into the sun my phone stays under 100°

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Conz

Reaction score
whats the app to keep tab on the phone's temperature?