GS3 not sleeping

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
I've noticed since the last update, that on occasion my phone will decide not to sleep. The screen wont turn off automatically after siting. I never really solve it. I just turn the screen off, and sometimes it works next time(turns off automatically) and sometimes it doesn't. I haven't noticed a trend with any apps. The only consistent app I use is the messaging. Maybe BeyondPod also. Has anyone experienced anything similar. Suggestions, other than factory reset?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For my note 2 map has been the biggest battery drain. Even after fc it ill look to see that it is still running in the background and killing my battery. As a result I have to use greenify to keep maps from waking my device. Not sure if this is a maps issue or an AOSP rom issue. Look at at your battery settings to see what app is waking your device.

OP
DroidBoardr

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
It isn't really an issue with battery drain because i can see that it hasn't turned off, so i remedy the situation. Its mostly just a hassle. I looked at the battery settings, but im not sure what i am looking for. Nothing says it is waking the device, where would it even say something like that? And it isn't an app waking the device, the device fails to sleep.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It isn't really an issue with battery drain because i can see that it hasn't turned off, so i remedy the situation. Its mostly just a hassle. I looked at the battery settings, but im not sure what i am looking for. Nothing says it is waking the device, where would it even say something like that? And it isn't an app waking the device, the device fails to sleep.

Before I switched to AOSP I had an issue with my n2 where I would hit the power button and it would wake up like a second later refusing to sleep so I tried killing off all my apps before putting it to sleep and most of the time that will work. My thought is there is an app or service running that is keeping the device from sleeping. Will a factory reset help, most likely yes but for how long I do not know. Before doing a factory reset it may be best to try and figure out what app or service is causing the issue. I am running kit kat so all I do is touch the battery indicator in my notification bar and it takes me to settings and tell me what devices are causing an issue (it usually is the app burning the most battery).

go into settings, apps, running to see what apps may be running rapid. Also check setting, battery to see if the app that is running is also using the most battery life as that could be an indication on what may be the culprit.

OP
DroidBoardr

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
Right on, my thought is that it may be the BeyondPod app. I know that it does some things to the lock-screen while I am listening, so perhaps this is one of those byproducts of making life easier. As soon as I finish my latest PodioBook, I will delete the app for a week or so and see if that cures the problem. Seeing as no one else seems to be having any similar issues, I assume it is a my device specific issue. That is at lest a good place to start from. Thanks for the suggestions.

WookieClaws

Reaction score
My wife's S3 did something like this. I stopped when I powered it off and back on. Hasn't happened since either. Mine on the other hand hasn't had this problem.

OP
DroidBoardr

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
My problem turned out to be a game I had downloaded, Max Payne, and when ever I would play it, it would trigger an action that keeps my phone from sleeping. This is supposed to only be the case when playing the game, but I found that just having it in the background would prevent sleeping. Now each time I finish playing, I hold down the "home" button bringing up recent apps, and I close the game. That seems to have solved my issue. Hope my lesson leaned helps.