* * * GRIEVOUS PROBLEMS with Galaxy Tab S w/ 4.4.2 KitKat * * *

sweber5`

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Tab S 10.5"
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S running Android 4.4.2 KitKat, and I've been recently noticing a bunch of problems with the "My Files" file explorer and with the camera.

My Files symptoms include hanging when deleting groups of checked files (the spiral "barber" activity line continues forever, while it shows the final file. eg. "15/15""). When I cancel out of the delete progress popup window, the files remain, and future attempts to delete the files results in "Delete Failed". Also, the file names are sometimes listed with the image gallery app icon (or icon for the files' associated apps) in front of them instead of the thumbnails of the respective images or files, etc. When I clear the My Files cache and restart the tablet. and then launch My Files again, the files I attempted to delete are gone (indicating that they were, in fact deleted), I tried to rename a file, and it became inaccessible, even though the file remained listed.

Camera symptoms include the camera taking longer than usual to load, the viewfinder not showing what I'm aiming the camera at (it's black), buttons not responding at all, the camera not taking the picture (when the buttons DO work), the most recent picture(s) not showing up in the list of most recent pictures taken (the lower right hand corner icon), etc.

The problems seems to be less prevalent immediately after powering the tablet on. Also, I just had the tablet replaced about a month or two ago due to what appeared to be a significantly faster battery drain issue after upgrading to Lollipop 5.1 (I later learned that it was the upgrade that caused that problem). While the vendor only deals with open box/refurbished it looks as if the replacement the vendor sent me was actually a new one.

When I call Samsung, the techs appear to be trained to robotically tell me to do a factory reset (Samsung might as well have a recorded message instructing callers to do this). I am totally DISGUSTED at this, and HOPE that 6.0 has fixed a lot of these issues!

Can anyone offer me any help with this?

Thanks,
Steve

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
This isn't a tablet forum, however since I have a Tab S myself I'll attempt to provide some assistance. You list multiple problems and my first suggestion would also be a factory reset for that reason. If the camera doesn't work properly after a reset you may have a faulty tablet.

You'll find hundreds of posts on this forum suggesting a factory reset after major upgrades. Mostly if the upgrade caused any problems. It's sorta the SOP in these cases.

With that said, it it sounds like you may have an app that you may have installed that is getting in the way. The Samsung file manager is attractive but I have found that ES File Explorer is actually more functional. If those files you're trying to delete are on a microSD card either app will have issues deleting them. You may want to start with a cache cleaner followed by a restart. I suggest CCleaner.

My battery life is fantastic, but it only takes one rogue app to wreck it.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
You'll find hundreds of posts on this forum suggesting a factory reset after major upgrades. Mostly if the upgrade caused any problems. It's sorta the SOP in these cases.

The Samsung file manager is attractive but I have found that ES File Explorer is actually more functional.

I'm not sure why a lot of people have an aversion to doing a full reset, but I'm the kind of person that would rather wipe than try to troubleshoot anything.

Make a backup of your important stuff on your PC using Samsung Kies and then wipe it. Especially after a major update.

I'm a huge fan of ES File Explorer as well. My Files is garbage.

Reactions: cr6