GPS Widgets

Newps

Reaction score
What's the deal with GPS widgets? I just downloaded the Beautiful Widgets and they all work great except the GPS widget. I then downloaded other GPS widgets. One didn't work at all and the others bring you to another screen. What's the deal with that? The only GPS switch that seems to work is the 4x1 widget that comes with the phone.

Guurzak

Reaction score
Leaving GPS on all the time won't really hurt much. The GPS is not actively drawing power except when an application is specifically looking for location info- in which case I probably want it to be on anyway. But if you're not using a location-aware app, you don't gain anything but turning the GPS completely off. So I just leave it on all the time.

OP
N

Newps

Reaction score
As stated I want to have a widget to cycle the GPS on and off. I know how to launch other programs.

Moonraker

Reaction score
I get what you are saying, I noticed the same thing as well. The power control widget (that comes with the phone) just turns the GPS on/off (as it should; which is great) but all the other GPS widgets on market take you to the GPS application screen in your settings to turn it on and off. Its a little weird ya know?

Other widgets out there on market (ones for blue-tooth, brightness, wifi) all seem to just toggle it on and off like the Power Control does. Im a lazy man, I would like a GPS widget that just turns it on and off. No real sweat off my back since i use the Power control widget, but still... there may be a time in the future where I might not use that. :)

Guurzak

Reaction score
The OS does not allow applications (including widgets) to change GPS status unless they are system applications. You can install an app as a system app if you root your Droid, but otherwise, no dice.

Moonraker

Reaction score
The OS does not allow applications (including widgets) to change GPS status unless they are system applications. You can install an app as a system app if you root your Droid, but otherwise, no dice.

Ahhh, thanks for clearing that up my man.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

Actually the OS INCLUDES such a widget. There are also plenty of other (individual widgets in the marketplace).
To the OP Widgets CurveFish (the last one is a GPS widget).
That is a simple on/off 1x1 widget. Works good, I used several of there until I realized for me the default power-bar made more sense.