GPS Settings

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Correct. They use that data to improve the accuracy of location services based on wifi networks without using GPS. If I remember right, they caught some flack because the Street View cars were collecting network names and locations in much the same way.

But, I digress. Hopefully that info helps you feel a little better about location services on your phone, but I figured I'd shed a little light on the collection of wifi data.

I remember the flak over the street cars...that's how I learned that Google was collecting WiFi data to store for their Maps. I guess it's no big deal as long as they are only stroing the network name and it's location. I have neighbors that broadcast unsecured WiFi....seems pretty risky to me...but mine is secured. Personally, on my phone, I am going to leave Location set to Device for normal use. If I need to navigate, I will switch to High Accuracy first. Just my personal choice though...that may not work for everyone. Thanks for sharing the good info.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I remember the flak over the street cars...that's how I learned that Google was collecting WiFi data to store for their Maps. I guess it's no big deal as long as they are only stroing the network name and it's location. I have neighbors that broadcast unsecured WiFi....seems pretty risky to me...but mine is secured. Personally, on my phone, I am going to leave Location set to Device for normal use. If I need to navigate, I will switch to High Accuracy first. Just my personal choice though...that may not work for everyone. Thanks for sharing the good info.
Not a problem, and you're not hurting anything by leaving it off until you need it. I would probably see better battery life if I did the same, but my phone gets me through the day (though I have to charge it in the late evening sometimes), so that's not a huge issue for me.

I'm also of the school of thought that, Google (and others) are going to serve me ads all over the internet and etc anyway, so if they want to collect some data on me so that the ads I see are relative to my area and my particular tastes, then have at it.

OP
Abby Normal

Abby Normal

Reaction score
I turned off that pop up and It took the high accuracy and then today I got a pop up that I had not accepted the Google pop up and wanted me to accept it now.

Guess I will take it and see what happens with ads and battery use. Lots of Good info from everyone , Thanks

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The ads you get near Verizon stores are likely coming from the my Verizon app. I just got a firmware update on my s4. After, when I launched My Verizon, I got this popup...

avutuze4.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The ads you get near Verizon stores are likely coming from the my Verizon app. I just got a firmware update on my s4. After, when I launched My Verizon, I got this popup...

avutuze4.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
That's the message / option I have been searching for. Now I remember...it was right after the My Verizon app update. I selected Not Now so that's why I could jot find it anymore. I guess if you did select Accept and don't want the ads you could uninstall the app updates, then re-install the update, then select Not Now when opening the first time. Thanks Jonny!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk