GPS Accuracy

twalbaum

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced a horrible decrease in the accuracy of your GPS position? My phone used to be pretty accurate sitting at my desk indoors, but now it's HORRIBLE. My position radius is HUGE. Usually, if I turn on wi-fi, it becomes pretty accurate, but I used to not have to do that just to get an accurate reading. However, I'm looking at Maps right now, with wi-fi enabled, and the radius is huge. What gives?

EDIT: After ten minutes of sitting here with wi-fi on, the accuracy dropped to something more reasonable. But only for a couple seconds! Now it's huge again, but not as huge as before.

droidxchat

Reaction score
Im pretty sure wireless is less accurate at positioning than normal gps. If it dropped to something reasonable for a sec, maybe you lost wifi for a sec and it used real gps instead?

Not positive tho,

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
How big is the radius? I'm home right now and the radius is just smaller than my apartment, I consider that pretty accurate and usually when I'm outside driving it gets even more accurate.

tappin and a talkin

OP
T

twalbaum

Reaction score
Even with Wi-Fi off, it's horrendous. In the past, accuracy improved with the activation of Wi-Fi. Also, I was under the impression GPS and Wi-Fi worked together, not in place of eachother. I could be wrong though.

Regarding the radius, it changes, but usually occupies a quarter to half the city of 28,000 that I live in, excluding the edges and beyond of the city. So yea, not my building. Not even close...

Sent from Outer Space using Magic!

OP
T

twalbaum

Reaction score
Wireless networks: check;
GPS satellites: check.
Any other ideas?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hmmm is it like this anywhere you go in the city? **I may be about to make a fool of myself with my lack of knowledge about gps, just be aware of that** I've heard that gps gets less accurate if not in view of open sky so maybe its just that the gps is of little help inside your house. Again i know as close to nothing about gps as possible so i could be way off.

tappin and a talkin

OP
T

twalbaum

Reaction score
GPS is most accurate when it has a clear view of the sky. I haven't really checked it when I'm outside because I'm usually going some where. I'll check tomorrow.
On a side note, sometimes my dad, who has a stock X, shows up on my latitude like 20 miles away from where he actually is, but shows a pretty accurate reading (or small radius, I should say). And it only does it at his house. Mine used to do the same thing, at the same location, when I would visit. I don't know if it still does it for me, but it does for him for sure.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's what I was also getting at. Like I said I don't know much about gas but there are some locations that I would refer to as a "gas faraday cage" if that makes sense. For instance the last job i had was at a mall in orange county and my store gave the craziest gps readings, i would be inside and it would show me being accurately placed about ten miles away, walk outside and it would place me exactly where i was to within a few feet, but go back inside and bam i'm clear accross town again.

tappin and a talkin

OP
T

twalbaum

Reaction score
What confuses me is my GPS used to be pretty accurate where I'm at right now. Then I notice it randomly got really terrible, seemingly after going to liberty.

mbjr

Reaction score
Same problem here, gps shows me on other side of freeway and CONSTANTLY re-routing in google maps. I use my gps all the time, this is new in Liberty 1.5

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
GPS doesnt even work for me. It used to work before i went to Liberty and a friend told me that GPS sucked on this ROM now i believe him.

OP
T

twalbaum

Reaction score
GPS improves when I'm outside, as expected. But that doesn't tell me much about why it's so terrible in a place that used to give reasonable accuracy.

wawzat

Reaction score
I've been on 1.5 since the day it was released and gps has been accurate until yestersday, when it started putting me on the wrong side of the freeway and rerouting a lot. I went into settings/applications/maps and cleared data and it seems better now.

Edit: or the solar flare stopped and it was just a coincidence. Lol

carosati3

Reaction score
gps is off about 3/4 of a mile for me. the sky is clear too. not sure what is going on.