GPS location problem

Brewer00psd

Reaction score
Not sure if it is related or not, but since the most recent update of android and google maps I am having issues with maps getting my location. It will fail to locate 3 out of 5 attempts when using it as a turn by turn gps. I do not enable wifi location. Curious if anyone else has pronblems or not. Or if you have a solution.
Thanks
Matt

sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree, even if you don't feel you are using WiFi it will assist the GPS. But there still may be something else going on. Install GPS Fix from Google and see if it helps.

OP
B

Brewer00psd

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will try the gps fix. I havr not had a single issue using my phone as a stand alone gps since buying it the day it came available with out using wifi enabled till just recently. I have not figured out if it was when android updated or the following couple days when maps and all the other programs updated. But I will try this and go from there. Having found a couple other threads in different forums with very similiar descriptions, I think it may be a little more than now turning on wifi. I am going to back up wipe it and reinstall everything if I don't get it figured out soon. I have put just over 32k miles on my vehicle since I got this phone and it has given me direction for about 95% of them. My Garmin died the day I got my phone. I never replaced it because this worked so well.
Matt

sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

OP
B

Brewer00psd

Reaction score
Update since my last post.

Nothing I tried worked consistently.

Ended up the micro usb port went bad and I could not charge my phone. I took it back and exchanged it. My new one has the same issues with gps locking on its own in maps. The first time I find a location and navigate to it everything works fine. Once I finish up what I am doing and enter a new address and try to navigate gps will not lock on my position to utilize turn by turn directions.
I then have to close out of maps, goto task manager and make sure it is completely closed out, give it a few seconds and then re-open google maps and wait till it locks on my location. I can then enter my next destination and get turn by turn. For the next location I have to start the process over again.
Its like something is keeping the phone from pinging the satellite to re acquire location lock.
Any ideas? Am I the only one who has this issue?
Thanks
Matt

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk HD

OP
B

Brewer00psd

Reaction score
Thank you. This is what I get. Has been doing this for a few minutes.
zujyzytu.jpg

Tonik

Reaction score
Get back into GPS Status and hit the menu, tools...mange A....then reset and download.

OP
B

Brewer00psd

Reaction score
Thank you.

I did that and then left it running in tue background. As long as it is running in the background I had no location issues today. First time I have not had to shut down and restart maps since the update before the most recent.
Thanks again
Matt

Tonik

Reaction score
Shouldn't need to do that....this now sounds like a map problem. Uninstall updates on maps and clear data. Is it better on the old version? Then update maps.

OP
B

Brewer00psd

Reaction score
I am using maps 6.14.2. I think I am going to back it up and then update. Looks like there is a new 7.x version that just hit the mkt. Let you know what happens tomorrow.

What are the possibilities another app I have is affecting my gps or maps ability/frequency of pinging the satellite for location? Sorry not sure how that works.
Thanks
Matt

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
App conflicts seem to be a problem for sure but in this case I don't know what could get in the way. Maybe the newest MAP update will help. The release notes said they would be providing a few more shortly.

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
I am using maps 6.14.2. I think I am going to back it up and then update. Looks like there is a new 7.x version that just hit the mkt. Let you know what happens tomorrow.

What are the possibilities another app I have is affecting my gps or maps ability/frequency of pinging the satellite for location? Sorry not sure how that works.
Thanks
Matt

I am having almost the same issue as you are. I can get a lock on my location. But when I go and drive I will lose my lock on gps and it will come and go. I had almost the same problem with my s3. Come to find out it was a hardware issue. Exchanged it for a refurbished one and everything was good after that.

OP
B

Brewer00psd

Reaction score
Been a while since posting. Thought I would leave info for anyone else who finds this and needs it.
I have not figured out my phone issue. But have figured out a work around.
I have gps status 2 setup so it turns on anytime I open maps. This works most of the the time. When it does not I have to go into my task killer and kill all the running apps and start over. But it works. Without gps status maps is about useless for turn by turn. Still aggravates me why it won't work without this. Has to be an app that is interfering. You can find the fix on the play store at the link below. Make sure you enable it to run in the background when gps is running.
Good luck.
Matt

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4