GPS Issues related to Dalvik-Cache

jawohl

Reaction score
I have done lots of inquiries about this problem but no one seems to stay my symptoms exactly. My GPS will always work... as long as I wipe Dalvik-Cache in CWM before hand. If I turn the GPS off and back on after the dalvik-cache wipe the GPS will stop working. I do not acquire any satellites, obviously no satellite fixes either.

I have edited my gps.conf file many times, including changing NTP servers (I currently live in the UAE).

Every other "fix" I have read about involves editing this file and it works for most people. However, in my case this does nothing. I still have to wipe dalvik-cache for GPS to work. Have also tried the "push-this-place-on-the-back-of-your-phone-fix" to no avail.

About my phone:
Droid X
Liquid ICS rom (this issues has been seen through multiple roms though, all ICS roms)

Copy of my gps.conf file:

NTP_SERVER=server 0.asia.pool.ntp.org

server 1.asia.pool.ntp.org

server 2.asia.pool.ntp.org

server 3.asia.pool.ntp.org

XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

ACCURACY_THRES=80

SUPL_PORT=7276

SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com

Thank you for the help in advanced

OP
J

jawohl

Reaction score
Just an update on this issue. I did my usual dalvik-cache wipe and used my GPS. Everything was going great. I turned off all data to ensure no GPS assist data would be downloaded. Unfortunately the GPS still failed to acquire satellites after some time with the GPS not in use (I never turned the GPS off). This seems to be purely a dalvik-cache issue and has no bearing on the assist data.

OP
J

jawohl

Reaction score
Finally figured this issue out by chance. Thought I would update in case anyone else is having issues.

This issue is related to Airplane Mode being enabled.

Because I am in a country that only has GSM I use my Droid X on WIFI only. To help save battery I turn Airplane mode on and then turn WIFI on separate. For whatever reason the GPS will not see the satellites with Airplane mode on. As soon as I turn Airplane mode off GPS works great.

Hope this helps other users.

Natey2

Reaction score
Download the "GPS Status & Toolbox" app. Launch it and the GPS (Google Maps) will start working, if it wasn't initially working.
You can also do a Menu, Tools, Manage A-GPS state, Reset, Download, from the app.

OP
J

jawohl

Reaction score
I have tried this and it still does not help this issue. The only fix is disabling airplane mode.