google voice randomly plays voicemails...

0o0o0o0o0o0

Reaction score
This has happened to me twice so far in the past month. Both times, I was no where near my phone and it was charging on a flat surface, with no possbility of anything touching the screen. Out of nowhere, an old voicemail would start playing through the speakerphone. I would check the phone and there would be nothing in the status bar indicating that a voicemail was being played. In addition, I set google voice to play voicemails through the normal quieter ear way (not speakerphone). I'm glad the voicemail was just from a coworker and not a drunk friend or anything, since I always have all sounds off (ringtone vibration), including media sounds muted. How could google voice still play it through my speakerphone all by itself?

Benton

Reaction score
Is there any chance the Google voicemail message has been saved as an mp3? I often save some Google voicemail messages that are for business to mp3 format then use them as reminders or follow ups on schedule. If they are saved in this format they will play through the speaker if no BT or wired audio devices are connected. Now, even if the messages have been saved to mp3 I still do not have any idea why they would randomly play...do you have a trigger from Smart Actions or something that could do this? I am grasping so don't kill the help if I am off-base here!

OP

0o0o0o0o0o0

Reaction score
nope, i never saved any of my voicemails. i don't use any smart actions either (i just use juicedefender)

Benton

Reaction score
I do not have any experience with Juicedefender but cannot imagine why this would interfere with Google Voice so will by-pass that from consideration to the root cause for the time being. I have read on some other posts that people have experienced a "crazy screen" syndrome when the phone is plugged into certain chargers, does this issue only occur for you when using a specific charger? I do not have experience with this issue but am wondering if it could be the culprit. I keep an icon for Google Voice anchored on my home screens and if the crazy screen syndrome happened to me I guess it could activate Google Voice and launch the voicemail to play back. A solution that seems to work to eliminate the crazy screen syndrome according to the posts has been to use a different charger and/or place the phone on a different surface when charging. It can't hurt giving this a try I suppose.

OP

0o0o0o0o0o0

Reaction score
nope, I've used at least 2 different chargers and it's happened regardless of the charger. i don't have an icon on any of my screens for google voice and it's not in the status bar. the only other link i found on google that reltaes to my problem is the following:

Verizon Droid X is playing an old voicemail over speakerphone "by itself."

however, i don't want to have to delete any voicemails

Benton

Reaction score
You probably already know this but in case not...you can download the voicemail as an mp3 file (this is under More options), store the downloaded file elsewhere then delete the message out of Google Voice, the message is still saved via the file you downloaded should you need to listen to it again. Although this may not be a perfect solution, considering the cost vs. benefit it may be the best option available.

OP

0o0o0o0o0o0

Reaction score
yup I'm aware, but I'm only resorting to it if there are no other options.
also, it happened to me again today, this time I was in the car with no charger. same voicemail playing through the speaker, nothing in status bar, etc
i thought it might be a virus or something (although I thought google does a good job of pulling infected apps from the market) so i ran a lookout scan, which found nothing

I'm just really confused as to what could be causing the issue. I've tried rebooting many times, and nothing helps.

OP

0o0o0o0o0o0

Reaction score
Alright I think I finally figured what was going on.

I checked my ringtones and it said "voicemail" under notification ringtones. I'm guessing that when I get an email the notification ringtone plays (my phone is jsually on silent/vibrate so it usually doesn't make a sound). I don't remember ever setting it to "ringtone" or why I would even do it, but I don't see how I could easily do it by accident either.

Anyway, I hope this should solve everything