Google Voice Conflict/Question...

D3C4F

Reaction score
Well, I don't own the house phones, and I feel like it's going to be a hassle telling everyone my new number if I choose the option to get the Google Voice number. But I like the options of the Google Voice number. Is it wiser to keep my old number and sacrifice some of the "cooler" features?

KungFuGeek

Reaction score
without getting a google voice number, you're really not getting anything worthwhile imo.

Its not to hard to get everybody to use your new number though (at least it wasn't with my freinds / family)

lbbrew

Reaction score
You can get the google number now but choose not to use it. Then you can use GV the same way as the "lite" version for now with the option to use the GV number in the future.

That way you can get the visual voicemail and free SMS, but you can still use your old number for all calls (incoming/outgoing). If you want the free SMS, you have to give out your GV number as a SMS contact number and use GV/gmail for SMS, but at least you have that option when you choose the "with number" GV option. However, if you keep using your old number, then you can't take advantage of the call filtering of GV.

You can choose the GV option with a new number and decide how you will use it (anywhere from total usage of GV to nothing). You just get more options if you get a new number and you are artificially limited if you choose the "no number" version of GV. You can change your settings at any time in GV, so if you decide you want to change how you use GV you can . There is really no advantage at all for getting the "lite" version of GV with no number.

hyperlite456

Reaction score
I'm personally happy with the non-google voice number. I don't have all the options, but being able to read voicemail sms and listen to voicemail in 2 seconds is all I need.

romeov

Reaction score
IMO it's not even a choice, the full google voice gives you SO much more, and yeah it's kind of a pain to change your number, but not really, I just send a text to my contact list and then mad sure to have my old number changed. 95% of everyone updated me with their new number and a few days later the last few who were too lazy too got a number in service message and real quickly figured it out, it's a great motivator.. and boom, all done, plus. No number changes again, for life.