Google Search Instability. Can replicate.

revelated

Reaction score
So I've been noticing some bizarre behavior with my Google Search. I can replicate it on demand. It will crash constantly and I have to go back into it. Also the voice search doesn't work - it brings up the mic and the red circle, and the red circle pulses, but it never actually "Submits" if that makes sense. There's signal because I can get emails and browse the web fine. I just can't actually search properly.

So to replicate, if I tap the search bar and just start typing something, it will crash out to the home page. What I noticed is that the faster I type (which should NOT be an issue, BTW), the easier I can get it to crash. Especially when dealing with words that it's confused about, like mediocre.

Stock, no root, nothing custom at all.

Is this happening to others?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So I've been noticing some bizarre behavior with my Google Search. I can replicate it on demand. It will crash constantly and I have to go back into it. Also the voice search doesn't work - it brings up the mic and the red circle, and the red circle pulses, but it never actually "Submits" if that makes sense. There's signal because I can get emails and browse the web fine. I just can't actually search properly.

So to replicate, if I tap the search bar and just start typing something, it will crash out to the home page. What I noticed is that the faster I type (which should NOT be an issue, BTW), the easier I can get it to crash. Especially when dealing with words that it's confused about, like mediocre.

Stock, no root, nothing custom at all.

Is this happening to others?

Try going to Apps/All/Google Search/Clear Data. That works on a lot of Google apps when they aren't running correctly.

If your problem persists I recommend you "grit your teeth" and do a Factory Reset. These have gotten pretty painless lately by following these simple steps: 1. Make sure Backup and Restore are checked in the Privacy setting. 2. Backup everything on your sdcard that you want to keep as a Factory Data Reset wipes the sdcard. 3. When going through the setup after the reset, turn on wifi as soon as you can (assuming it is available). 4. After you have entered your Gmail account info, you will be presented with a screen that has two check boxes. Basically they are "Do you want Google to backup and restore this phone”. Make sure you check both of those. 5. Open the Market app and accept the market terms. 5. Your apps will then automatically reinstall (paid and free). Set the phone aside for a minute or two and let the apps download and install. 6. If rooted, use an app such as titanium backup to restore data only to select apps such as Tapatalk and you will not have to re-enter all your login information. I do this for 3-4 apps (Tapatalk, SPB Shell, etc.).

I've been flashing new roms/updates about once per day lately and I can be up and running with all my apps and settings back in place in less than 20 minutes. It's pretty painless now.

HikenGruven

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem and posted about it under the help thread, but still have not heard anything back. It occurs with both the search widget at the top of the home screen and the browser area where you enter the web address. It does not occur inside the Google search box inside the browser. This is my second nexus and I have already done a factory reset. The first one just randomly rebooted (5 times a day!). Outside of crappy reception, this one works ok. I've also cleared the cache, that doesn't seem to have solved it either. It might not do it at all today and then tomorrow almost be unusable. I've typed at varying speeds and even one finger at a time. It really seems to happen without rhyme or reason, but often enough to be annoying. If it was once I week, I would figure whatever. 4-5 times a day is a bit much.