Google maps network location service

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Ever since the last update for google maps in keep getting "network location service" running in the background. Every time my phone seems to lag a little I check, and it's running again. I keep stopping it in "running services" but it comes back over and over again!

Does anyone know how to stop it from starting? And of course, you can't contact the developer from the market! Any ideas?

Thanks...

Sent from my Droid running whatever ROM and Kernel I chose to use today...

tierox

Reaction score
Ever since the last update for google maps in keep getting "network location service" running in the background. Every time my phone seems to lag a little I check, and it's running again. I keep stopping it in "running services" but it comes back over and over again!

Does anyone know how to stop it from starting? And of course, you can't contact the developer from the market! Any ideas?

Thanks...

Hi,
I've the same problem but I've an HTC Desire. NetworkLocationService starts on boot only if Wireless localization parameter is switched on, elsewhere the service is launched by Google Maps (5.1.0) and it remains active even though Google Maps has been closed.
Please let me know if you'll find a solution.
Thanks in advance.

OP
sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
I uninstalled and restored an old backup of 5.0. Then unlinked it from the market via Titanium backup. It's fine now, but I'll have a decision to make when new features come out that I want...

tierox

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm going to reinstall Maps 5.0 but I have not a backup. I'll searching on internet... Bye

Pietro

Reaction score
Maps - Network location service

Hi!

I have the same issue on my Desire.
This process drain huge energy.

My solution is to Force Stop the Maps.
I can do it in the Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Application.
Here, on the Running tab, you can see the list of running applications.
If i'm correct, these are in frozen state, however its can activate running processes (which you can see in Menu/Settings/Applications/Running services)

If i Force Stop the Maps, the network location service disappears, Maps can not activet it again.
Latitude stay active, it works fine. Run a process only when it refresh my location, than stop itself immediately.

This solution is work, but:
I have to force stop Maps after every use.
( i don't believe in task killer apps )

Otherwise, I would like to know, what this 'network location service' does?
I wasn't before the last update.
Can anyone tell me what it is?

Maps doesn't share my location.
Eventhat, Latitude only use wireless data and celltowers to the background refresh. The internal GPS is used only when Maps run.
(if i open the latitude, it opens the Maps with Latitude-layer, after i forcetop the maps, latitud remains active)

Anyway, i like the updates, there are always a few small cool new feature.

OP
sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Hi!

My solution is to Force Stop the Maps.
I can do it in the Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Application.
Here, on the Running tab, you can see the list of running applications.
If i'm correct, these are in frozen state, however its can activate running processes (which you can see in Menu/Settings/Applications/Running services)

I appreciate your reply, but if you read my initial post, i already said I stop the app in running services...

Pietro

Reaction score
Hi sgtguthrie!

Yes, you said.
But I didn't mean to stop it from 'Running Services', cause it would start again, as you said.

If you 'Force stop' the Maps. From the Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Application
then it won't start itself again.

So, thisway you can use the Google Maps latest update, don't have to stick to the old version.
Only illness of this that you should Force Top your Maps manually everytime you stop using it.

Sorry for repeating myself, i also didn't want to repeat you.
I hope this is clear now.

So, has anyone already figured it out:
- what is this 'network location service' process?
- why google add this to the latest update?
- what is its task, why drains the energy all the tim?

Still waiting for answers... meantime i'll try to find it out!

P

Pietro

Reaction score
Hi!

I might found the answer, althought it's only a theory yet!

Google use wireless MAC addresses to determine your location, just like cell-towers and gps satellites.

Your smartphone checks the nearby wifi MACs, send those to Google via mobil-internet or connected wifi hot-spot.
Google has a huge database which store the locations of the MAC addresses. ( The locations of an accesspoint is more-or-less fixed. )

Using this, the location can be calculated.( Of course not as punctual as using gps satellites )

However, Google must keep his database up to date.
For this, Google Maps makes your phone a WiFi-sensor.

Google Maps send the nearby wifi MAC addresses to Google continuously.

This is, what drain the energy. This is what the network location service does!

What do you think?
Am I correct, or this process does a completly different thing?

P

Raxarov

Reaction score
HTC Desire HD - Location Service renders the phone unusable - I gonna sue Google!

Since the last Maps update Location service keeps popping up making the phone all but unusable!

For me this is a case to pursue a legal action against Google.

Deinstallation of latest Maps update didn't help.

Force-stopping Maps service or Location service or Location launcher service didn't help either.

In the meantime has someone figured out how to fix this issue?

Appreciate your help (before I throw away the damn phone!)

StrikerOne

Reaction score
Since the last Maps update Location service keeps popping up making the phone all but unusable!

For me this is a case to pursue a legal action against Google.

Deinstallation of latest Maps update didn't help.

Force-stopping Maps service or Location service or Location launcher service didn't help either.

In the meantime has someone figured out how to fix this issue?

Appreciate your help (before I throw away the damn phone!)

Yep, same here - my phone is completely useless - the locations service wont stop running no matter how many times you force stop it, and any other apps associated with maping, locations etc. The phone is essentially useless unless you run the GPS locator constantly, which just kills the battery.

WTF.

StrikerOne

Reaction score
It also automatically turns the speakerphone on (and sometimes randomly while you're on a call even after manually switching it off!) so you get an ear full of full volume speaker phone. OUCH!

And apart from the locations service running constantly, which I don't want in any case - to do this, it requires access to GPS satellites - otherwise it constantly comes up with the "error" message and asking you to turn on GPS access, every time you touch your phone.

So just ignoring the problem doesn't help - and turning on access to GPS satellites KILLS your battery very quickly.

The phone is essentially useless in its current state. Its driving me up the wall because I use my phone for business all day and I don't have a backup phone.

dej4n

Reaction score
If you enable Settings > Applications > Development > Stop app via long-press you can kill Google Maps by long-pressing the back button when exiting. That will kill com.google.android.apps.maps:NetworkLocationService too.