Location Services dead... again

jjd228

Reaction score
WHY does this happen? Out of nowhere, any app that uses location services just stops working. For example Google Maps just says "your location is temporarily unavailable" and the nearby stream on Google Plus just spins and says "acquiring location."

To be clear, I do NOT have GPS enabled, nor should I need to. Last week location services worked just fine using cell towers only, and now nothing works. This happened to me once before and then it all just starting working again after a few days. Does anyone have any ideas?

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I guess it's possible that they're doing some kind of maintenance--either on Google's end or to your local towers.

I leave my GPS toggled on all the time. Why not let apps use it when they need it?

toyotaking88

Reaction score
I don't like leaving it on because of battery drain. I am sure its very minimal but every little bit counts. And I hate that they.can track me whenever they want even though they probably can track me without it on.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well... Try either clearing cache in recovery.....
Or go into settings/applications/manage applications/"all" tab... Scroll down to network location and clear data...
That should help clear things up on your end and hopefully help fix it if the problem is there

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

Heywood

Reaction score
I don't like leaving it on because of battery drain. I am sure its very minimal but every little bit counts. And I hate that they.can track me whenever they want even though they probably can track me without it on.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Who are these "they" people?;)

toyotaking88

Reaction score
They are Verizon Google government and any others that might have access to tracking me. I am just one of those paranoid types. And I am sure you will say well if you aren't doing anything wrong then why are you so worried about it. And truth of the matter is I am not all that worried about it, if I was I wouldn't even have aphone or any technology for that matter.

Heywood

Reaction score
I was just being silly. I do in fact happen to share your views. Big Brother is a fact of life.

For instance, here in Portland one of the news stations has this great fantastic new accu-pinpoint...blah blah blah traffic watch pinpoint (you get the idea). Anyway, this wonderful system is able to give all of the folks watching or listening a very accurate time frame of local commutes by seeing the actual speed of cars on that particular interstate/hwy. This is done by tracking cell phones in the vehicles.

toyotaking88

Reaction score
Ya I agree there are apps that are so dang helpful but can be used to locate us. I just hate the fact that the big man can check in on us when he feels the need. I hope cell companies don't begin to block access to sites we visit, I heard something the other day about it but I am not sure if its going to happen.