Google Maps Mistake Brings Hordes of Vacationers to New Jersey Woman’s Home

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Malvado, Jul 13, 2011.

1. PainProphet

PainProphet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Haha correct oh wait this was in New Jersey. If it happened in New Jersey... did it really happen at all?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

2. BigTex71

BigTex71 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would charge an outrageous toll that no one would pay. Like $1000.

3. rjsurfer

rjsurfer Member

Ratings:
    +1
    On my cross country trip I used Google Maps on the Droid as my navigator and it worked very well except when we went to Galveston Beach State Park, we followed the directions and wound up in this huge parking lot near some town garage complex.....What the heck?

While we were scratching our heads trying to figure out where we were a man came out of the garage and asked if we were using Google Maps and told us there was an error and pointed us in the right direction.

He said 5 campers a day wind up in that parking lot:icon_eek:

Ron W.

4. rolrctermaniac

Ratings:
    +2
    i used google maps to try to find the nearent gas station once, it put me in a neighborhood and i almost ran out of gas trying to get to the next station!

5. Sweettooth

Sweettooth Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Google,

Can you please incorrectly label my apartment as a Deposit Only Chase Branch?

Thanks!

6. TreFiDDy

TreFiDDy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    She needs some bear traps and a pit

Sent From A Supercharged Modded X

7. NeoPhoenixTE

NeoPhoenixTE Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Has no one gone on Google Mapmaker (Google Map Maker) and correct this error?

If it has been corrected, then that means the website of Google Maps is working. However, tile updates to iOS and Android take a number of weeks to publish. I'm an avid GMM user and I'm just now starting to see edits I made three weeks ago appear on my phone.

8. Blade765

Blade765 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I STILL think, even with this mistake, that google has done a pretty good job with maps. Think of all the towns/roads/etc they have mapped out for us. Cant possibly be correct ALL of the time. And, on a final note, isnt maps/navigation still TECHNICALLY in beta? lol!

9. jbdavies

jbdavies Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Agreed. Just yesterday I was driving around in the mountains here in Utah, middle of nowhere and Google Maps actually had ALL of the roads I was driving on. I was highly impressed.

But, I would put up a huge medieval gate with a drawbridge and towers... but on the top of the towers would be turrets with fully automatic .50cal machine guns. With green laser sights of course... just to add to the effect. I've always wanted to do that... :)

10. bplewis24

bplewis24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, that's just a byproduct of people becoming too dependent on technology to the point they won't even trust their own logic and common sense.

There have been a couple times I've been on vacation and made tee time reservations at golf courses in the area. Google Maps will get me in the vicinity of the course, but occasionally it will give me the wrong entrance. Sometimes it will have me turn in to a dirt road that goes nowhere and I'll bypass it looking for a sign for the course, but I'll think to myself, "I wonder how many people drove down that dirt road into the backwoods somewhere?"

If you start hearing a banjo, turn and run the other way!

Brandon

11. Dusty

Dusty Gold Member

Ratings:
    +597
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 3XL
    She could easily strike a deal with the local tow truck company to troll her property on the daily basis to tow away trespassers and charge for pickup. They would make plenty of extra cash on the weekend.

12. StormyHeather

StormyHeather Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Twitter:
    GAPeachHeather
    Goodness! I remember swimming in Round Valley Reservoir when we used to live in NJ (way back when).

I do have to say, she should have a LARGE sign that states that Google Maps is WRONG and her private driveway is NOT the entrance to the Reservoir. And then all the trespassing signs and such. Though if people aren't going to READ and COMPREHEND the signs, she really can't do much.

Google should pick up the tab for any costs that she has because of this error. If they have been properly notified, then they have actual knowledge of this error.

Really, people do need to use their common sense and the brain in their head. You cannot solely rely on technology. :icon_eek:

Search tags for this page

putting sights on a flare pistol