Google Clarifies Still Committed to Nexus; Android Silver is a Separate Thing

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
HTC-Nexus-One-boot-up.jpg

At the Google I/O 2014 conference this week, Google's head of engineering at Android and the Nexus program, Dave Burke, clarified that Nexus was here to stay and would not be replaced by Android Silver. For a few weeks before the event we heard several rumors suggesting that Android Silver would kill off the Nexus product line, but it seems those rumors were unfounded (at least for now). Burke had this to say,

"People just get excited by concepts and forget why we do things. We are still invested in Nexus."

Burke added,

"Android Silver is not something that we are commenting on right now. People have been commenting about Nexus because there is something else and they think that means the end of Nexus. That is the totally wrong conclusion to make.

He also elaborated on the processes involved in developing with the open nature of Android. He shared that one team works on Android, while the other works in tandem on the Nexus hardware, but they ultimately go hand in hand,

When we are working, there are sort of two outputs. We’re building a Nexus device and we’re building the open source code. There is no way you can build the open source code without the phone or tablet or whatever you are building. You have to live and breathe the code you are developing.

You can’t build a platform in the abstract, you have to build a device (or devices). So, I don’t think can can or will ever go away. And then, I think Nexus is also interesting in that it is a way of us explaining how we think Android should run. It is a statement, almost a statement of purity in some respects. I don’t see why we would ever turn away from that, it wouldn’t make sense.

Whew! It's good to know Google is still committed to the Nexus line!

Source: ReadWrite.com

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
This makes me happy. I may own an HTC M8 but I still love the Nexus phones and own two Nexus 7 tablets and if HTC is releasing an Nexus 8 I may soon own a 3rd.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep... good news all around!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nexus will live on. Whoohoo, think it is time to celebrate by flashing something on my phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'm going to go in on the next Nexus...I'm thinking of holding onto my M8 till then and skip G3....rumors have LG Nexus with G3 form ...win win

M8 tap'd

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I do think we will end up getting a g3 nexus but Motorola is long due for a nexus. Just sayin.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I think Moto would be great but with this X+ I'm thinking not till next yr if at all ..

M8 tap'd

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think Moto would be great but with this X+ I'm thinking not till next yr if at all ..

M8 tap'd

In the end I think you going to end up being right. LG seems to be Google's "go to" as of late and there is just too much smoke about a LG G3 nexus. But then again Google and Moto could surprise us and the Moto X+1 could end up being the reference device. I mean moto devices as of late have practically been the closest to a stock google device minus GPE devices.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
speaking of me celebrating by flashing something, re-flashed the "L" using adb and this method so not to wipe my sd card [ROM] N5 L Developer Preview LPV79 (flashabl… | Google Nexus 5 | xda-developers. So far so good as I kept recovery, my data, and then was able to flash su in recovery. Will advise on what works and what is broke in my developer corner thread.

BK, you tired and weary crackflasher (reference to the Batman v Superman description of Batman) definitely time for you to invest in another nexus. Though I must admit since owning my nexus I have not flashed much. As I really have not found the need because stock has been great and xposed just gave me the minor things I wanted not found in stock roms.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I agree. But, the only Moto X feature that didn't get rolled into the upcoming Android L was the "always on" Google Now Search.
I can easily see Google rolling that in as a Nexus feature after Lenovo officially takes the wheel for Motorola.

On top of that... what if Lenovo's Motorola becomes the Android Silver builder, and Android Silver is some kind of fringe "Experimental" arm of Android? That would include projects like Ara, or the environment sensing thing they built.

I'm just spit-balling.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
BK, you tired and weary crackflasher (reference to the Batman v Superman description of Batman) definitely time for you to invest in another nexus. Though I must admit since owning my nexus I have not flashed much. As I really have not found the need because stock has been great and xposed just gave me the minor things I wanted not found in stock roms.

You know I have a fully unlocked M8 ..I can flash away now lol ...only thing I flashed ViperOne ROM and I like it so much I won't try anything else ...haha

M8 tap'd