Google adding DRM to playstore apps

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Google is adding DRM to their playstore apps. What what their future plans for it will be. If it will eventually be restrictive like other companies or just a way to control distribution.

Google quietly rolled out a feature that adds a string of metadata to all APK files (that's the file type for Android apps) when they are signed by the developer. You can't install an application that hasn't been signed during its final build, so that means that all apps built using the latest APK Signature Scheme will have a nice little chunk of DRM built into them. And eventually, your phone will run a version of Android that won't be able to install apps without it.

Google is adding DRM to all Android apps, but it's for the right reasons

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Google is trying to make Android appear more secure so they can get more business customers, and probably Government customers. Google wants to push that Android is an enterprise friendly OS, safe for business users.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
According to a few stories I read today this was reported incorrectly right from the get-go, and Google is NOT adding DRM; just another layer of protection in addition to the app signature by the developer. Here is just one quote from another tech forum:

"...In summary, the metadata Google is adding to apps from the Play Store is definitely not DRM. It doesn't restrict users in the way that DRM does, and there's no evidence that future versions of Android will block apps without it. It could theoretically be used as the starting point for DRM, but as-is right now it's just a verification method. You're more than welcome to keep installing pirated apps from a sketchy overseas website..."

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
According to a few stories I read today this was reported incorrectly right from the get-go, and Google is NOT adding DRM; just another layer of protection in addition to the app signature by the developer. Here is just one quote from another tech forum:

"...In summary, the metadata Google is adding to apps from the Play Store is definitely not DRM. It doesn't restrict users in the way that DRM does, and there's no evidence that future versions of Android will block apps without it. It could theoretically be used as the starting point for DRM, but as-is right now it's just a verification method. You're more than welcome to keep installing pirated apps from a sketchy overseas website..."

based on your post, it sounds like an opinion, not fact. so far what you are saying has not hit the main stream news. Only could find one site that even mentions it. Just about every tech site still says it is DRM. maybe it will change later today if true.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I guess it depends on the site, some say it is and some say it is not. Strange.
3762b0e38bab4aff8efc4e982a473f33.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk