Good, bad, ugly

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
I'm going to be getting a new phone soon. I'm pretty much stuck with AT&T due to having other devices on a contract and not having the funds to buy a phone outright. I'm thinking about the Note 5. Does anyone know of a site that lists the bloatware that comes on phones so I can compare and at least minimize it since the Note 5 is "unrootable". I hate being chained to a carrier to buy a phone but it's unavoidable for me.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm going to be getting a new phone soon. I'm pretty much stuck with AT&T due to having other devices on a contract and not having the funds to buy a phone outright. I'm thinking about the Note 5. Does anyone know of a site that lists the bloatware that comes on phones so I can compare and at least minimize it since the Note 5 is "unrootable". I hate being chained to a carrier to buy a phone but it's unavoidable for me.

Go to a carrier store and you should be able to see the bloat. But I would not be surprised to see 25+ between Samsung and ATT's carrier bloat.

Another option is the Moto X pure. I'm hearing a lot of good buzz about the device. The one weakness that the Nexus 6 had (the camera) was fixed with the Moto X pure. So there is a device where you are sure to get minimum bloat and fast updates. In the last two years the pure (or vanilla) editions of moto got updates close to when the Nexus devices did. And actually some got their updates pushed before Google managed to push it to some of their older nexus phones.

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
kixfan
Go to a carrier store and you should be able to see the bloat. But I would not be surprised to see 25+ between Samsung and ATT's carrier bloat.

Another option is the Moto X pure. I'm hearing a lot of good buzz about the device. The one weakness that the Nexus 6 had (the camera) was fixed with the Moto X pure. So there is a device where you are sure to get minimum bloat and fast updates. In the last two years the pure (or vanilla) editions of moto got updates close to when the Nexus devices did. And actually some got their updates pushed before Google managed to push it to some of their older nexus phones.

Will the Pure be available at carriers? I have to use the next plan since I cant afford to pay for a phone all at once.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Will the Pure be available at carriers? I have to use the next plan since I cant afford to pay for a phone all at once.
No but they should be at best buy stores.

Last edited:

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Both phones are great options.. I'm very happy with S6e+ and I'm hearing the same on Note 5... Bloat can be disabled not an issue..

S6E+ tapatalk

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
kixfan
Both phones are great options.. I'm very happy with S6e+ and I'm hearing the same on Note 5... Bloat can be disabled not an issue..

S6E+ tapatalk

It still takes up a lot of room on the phone though and since they have no SD space will be at a premium.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
It still takes up a lot of room on the phone though and since they have no SD space will be at a premium.
I have plenty apps.. Photos and about 400 songs currently on this phone..

e490fffe1eba19a2c0c7eebe24d23b12.jpg

S6E+ tapatalk

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
kixfan
I have plenty apps.. Photos and about 400 songs currently on this phone..

e490fffe1eba19a2c0c7eebe24d23b12.jpg

S6E+ tapatalk

I don't know. Maybe I'm just being too paranoid about running out of space. I've had an SDcard for so long that I just got used to it. I don't hold any music on my phone just a ton of games and apps, a lot of which I have stored on the SDcard. Not sure how big they all are in total.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I don't know. Maybe I'm just being too paranoid about running out of space. I've had an SDcard for so long that I just got used to it. I don't hold any music on my phone just a ton of games and apps, a lot of which I have stored on the SDcard. Not sure how big they all are in total.

I used to be the same but now with new phones I've just settled on internal.. I have over 1000 photos.. with music and 161 apps.. Not many games but seems plenty of space left to me.

S6E+ tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I have 32GB on my Maxx with 13GB free. That includes all my videos, pics and apps. While I agree with the want of an SDcard slot getting at least 32GB internal memory is sufficient for me.