Going on a cruise- how do I turn of all data?

kfmac

Reaction score
I want to be able to turn off all data so I don't get the scary bill when I get back. I want to be able to text (still costly but not as bad) so I can check in on my kids. Please tell me it's easy, and that it will work on the Droid X too...

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
I want to be able to turn off all data so I don't get the scary bill when I get back. I want to be able to text (still costly but not as bad) so I can check in on my kids. Please tell me it's easy, and that it will work on the Droid X too...
Airplane mode

OP
K

kfmac

Reaction score
Seriously? It's that easy? I guess I didn't think it would shut off ALL data. *smacks head*
Thanks!

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
Airplane mode turns off ALL data, so you can't make calls or send texts while it's turned on. A better way would be to go to settings>battery&data manager>data delivery and uncheck the data enabled box.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

DunDun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"Sammy Davis" Galaxy Season 6

Why shut off data?

You're going on a cruise... sooooo,

1. Why not use the ship's WIFI?

2. Use the cruise ship's WIFI and use email instead of text messages, or "google talk"?

3. Use the cruise ship's WIFI add some funds to "google voice" and use it just to text and to talk to your family?

4. Use the cruise ship's WIFI and use "google voice" and "Groove IP"?

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Still turn airplane mode on then enable wifi (hopefully its free on the ship)
Data will be roaming.. if you get a cell signal (doubtful), if not the phone will be constantly looking for cellular signal draining battery.
----posted maxx'ed out----

Last edited:

nikecar

Reaction score
Why shut off data?

You're going on a cruise... sooooo,

1. Why not use the ship's WIFI?

2. Use the cruise ship's WIFI and use email instead of text messages, or "google talk"?

3. Use the cruise ship's WIFI add some funds to "google voice" and use it just to text and to talk to your family?

4. Use the cruise ship's WIFI and use "google voice" and "Groove IP"?

Because most cruises charge from $.5-1 per minute. Our cruise charges $.75 a minute and all reviews state its slow.

I'm activating my global when I go as the location the ship stops at will work, but that is for an emergency. It will be off and no data on and on airplane when not needed.

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.

OP
K

kfmac

Reaction score
I don't want to use the onboard wifi, it's way too expensive. So I guess my best bet is to do like a PP suggested, and go through data manager. I dont know about enabling global. How does that work? I have unlimited data, but I'm sure that means nothing since we'll be out of the U.S.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Our dinc2's are global, i remember seeing a number to call when i needed to activate it..
I forget.. call Verizon customer support bet they can help..

Figured the ships wifi was outrageous. I went on a cruise a few years back and needed pc access and those were $$$$

----posted maxx'ed out----

mykl376

Reaction score
When we went on our cruise, we bought one of the minute bundles for their wifi. I don't remember exactly how much it was, but of course it was expensive. They track you from the time you "log in" until you "log out," whether you're actually using any data or not. What I did was compose my emails while not connected, then all I had to use was maybe 5 minutes to connect, send email, download email, and then log out and read email. You have to be real careful, kinda like in the olden days of AOL and dial-up where you paid by the minute! And it was painfully slow, I don't think any sort of video chat would work very well.

DunDun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"Sammy Davis" Galaxy Season 6
When we went on our cruise, we bought one of the minute bundles for their wifi. I don't remember exactly how much it was, but of course it was expensive. They track you from the time you "log in" until you "log out," whether you're actually using any data or not. What I did was compose my emails while not connected, then all I had to use was maybe 5 minutes to connect, send email, download email, and then log out and read email. You have to be real careful, kinda like in the olden days of AOL and dial-up where you paid by the minute! And it was painfully slow, I don't think any sort of video chat would work very well.

WOW... ok I get it now! I didn't mean video chat. I text with some friends through google talk, and there were a few times I couldn't text while traveling through Verizon and google voice was working through WIFI.

landon418

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You can dial #*#*4636#*#* and change your network connection to unknown

dlcramer

Reaction score
If using ships wifi ( which works in airplane mode) just be sure to log off each time. Otherwise it will continue to bill minutes. Some cruise lines neglect to mention this. At 80+ bucks for 500 minutes it sucks to log on day 2 and find minutes drained to 0. Good thing wifes work paid for it :)

Airplane mode is the way to go. Most ships have satellite cell towers now and your phone goes into roaming mode killing battery life. Also pricey. In my experience it usually sets phone to GMT regardless of where the ship is

Also remember that when cruising the time may change in port. While in airplane mode you will be stuck on the time you had when u set airplane mode unless you manually set the time.

15 cruises and 4 different cruise lines of experience.

OP
K

kfmac

Reaction score
I think I'm going to end up calling Verizon just to double check. Thanks footer all the replies y'all.