Droid roaming on cruse, data related

brak

Reaction score
hey all, i tried to search but couldnt find the exact answer.

i have a droid 1. im going on a cruise for over a week. i know the ship has verizon service, but only plan on texting to save money.

i'm worried about the phone sending the background data back and forth and ringing me up a huge bill.

if i uncheck background data and auto-sync in the accounts and sync settings menu, will it truly turn all the background data completely off?

i dont want to use airplane mode because i still want to be able to send and receive texts.

any advice or help will be appreciated! thank you in advance.

rustynail09

Reaction score
Another plan is to call and add international data roaming to your plan for a week or so that you will be on your cruise. It is an additional $60/mo., but you can cancel it after a week only costing you $15.

just a heads up!

OP
B

brak

Reaction score
that was a huge help rusty! thank you. i called verizon and enabled international data for $65 a month, and cancel it upon my return. now, i can email/web/IM unlimited! texting and calling would still charge, but ill just use gtalk. thanks again!

Droid101

Reaction score
Another plan is to call and add international data roaming to your plan for a week or so that you will be on your cruise. It is an additional $60/mo., but you can cancel it after a week only costing you $15.

just a heads up!

Perfect Idea wish I knew that when I had my BB:blackberry: lol

monkeydog

Reaction score
Go to the dialer and put in *#*#4636#*#* then go to phone information, then press the menu button and choose more, then choose disable data connection. This turns off all data and leaves the normal cell connection online for calls and texting. I did this just last week on my cruise and used 0kb of data the entire week and was able to make calls and text and even have access to gps

Almost forgot... if you reboot the phone the data connection will be re-initiated, so you will have to go and turn it off again really quick.

Last edited: