GNEX user with questions.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
So I have a galaxy Nexus, my 2nd one to be exact, love the phone but after major call problems with it I just can't settle with it until it gets fixed. In 3 days I've had to call people back 22 times cause they said they couldn't hear me. So frustrating.

Anyways my questions are, is anybody out there that has a bionic and has played or used a Nexus. What r ur thoughts in comparison. What's your thoughts on the new update. Is the bionic going to get ICS sometime then? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Sent from Galaxy Nexy Sexy using DroidForums :)

rdgxray

Reaction score
Moto has said bionic will get ICS. After 9.01 update bionic is much better. Pretty much everything seems to work. I saw the nexus and loved the size and screen quality and how quick ICS was. I only have one phone though and need it to work as a phone! Sticking with bionic.

nateohio

Reaction score
welcome to the work of Samsung. This is the precise reason why I refuse to by a nexus device until they have one made by moto

The 901 build pots the bionic in a position to blow the gnex out if the water in my opinion

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

TatDroid

Reaction score
And just so you know, OP, the 901 update they're talking about that greatly improves Bionic performance has not been pushed out by Verizon to all users over the air yet. So far, in order to download and install the update it will take a little research and work on your part. No word on an exact OTA date from Verizon yet. Just "soon".

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
You know I am seriously interested in seeing what both the Bionic and the Razr look like with ICS on them....should or at least could be amazing. I would say they could blow the GN out of the water....if the GN was the SGS2 or something....but it's a Nexus...which means unlike every other Samsung phone out there Google is directly involved with this phone....which to me SHOULD be better than any manufacturer could possibly offer.

This is my first non-Motorola phone and to say I am skeptical would be a serious understatement. But I have had the Bionic (Pre-901) and I recently had the Razr on 798....and although I have only had the GN for a very short period of time, if you asked me today I would tell you to get the GN....second recommendation (and safest) would be the Razr (because it is actually Motorola's flagship device)....then either Rezound (which I am not an HTC fan) or Bioinic (former flagship replaced within 6 weeks by Razr).

In all honesty out of all those mentioned the Nexus has the greatest potential and most definitely longest expected lifetime when it comes to support and updates. Unlike the Rezound (HTC Flagship) or Razr (Motorola Flagship), the Nexus is Google's flagship....or better yet Android's flagship.

I am NOT saying that either the Bionic, Razr, nor Rezound are in anyway a bad decision....just offering my reason on why I would advise on these phones.

all IMHO

Fact....potential does not guarantee results.

nateohio

Reaction score
Nerdslogic does have point. For life cycle and long term support, you can't beat any nexus device.

I was basing my opinion purely on hardware. Long term support isn't all that important to me because I don't own phones long enough for that to be an issue.

OP
INCREMENTAL

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
You know I am seriously interested in seeing what both the Bionic and the Razr look like with ICS on them....should or at least could be amazing. I would say they could blow the GN out of the water....if the GN was the SGS2 or something....but it's a Nexus...which means unlike every other Samsung phone out there Google is directly involved with this phone....which to me SHOULD be better than any manufacturer could possibly offer.

This is my first non-Motorola phone and to say I am skeptical would be a serious understatement. But I have had the Bionic (Pre-901) and I recently had the Razr on 798....and although I have only had the GN for a very short period of time, if you asked me today I would tell you to get the GN....second recommendation (and safest) would be the Razr (because it is actually Motorola's flagship device)....then either Rezound (which I am not an HTC fan) or Bioinic (former flagship replaced within 6 weeks by Razr).

In all honesty out of all those mentioned the Nexus has the greatest potential and most definitely longest expected lifetime when it comes to support and updates. Unlike the Rezound (HTC Flagship) or Razr (Motorola Flagship), the Nexus is Google's flagship....or better yet Android's flagship.

I am NOT saying that either the Bionic, Razr, nor Rezound are in anyway a bad decision....just offering my reason on why I would advise on these phones.

all IMHO

Fact....potential does not guarantee results.

First thanks for everyone's replies.

I understand what ur saying here but after having a 2nd Gnex and the problems it has is honestly just unacceptable.

This phone on a computer side is probably the best android to date just because of ICS. My thoughts are how much better is a Gnex when the other phones start getting ICS. Yeah it might be the first with updates, might be the best on a rooted note and have the most support but if u don't root u can't really throw that in there.

On the phone side and I'm just being honest with the 2 I've had. The phone is horrific when it comes to actually being a phone. It is by far the worse phone I've had when it comes to making calls and having a quality phone conversation. Anyone stating this phone can hold up to a moto in call quality is just blowing smoke up their own ass. After gaming with a buddy the last 4 nights that lives a few states away. My OG Droid would have made 1 nice clear phone call every night, with the Gnex I have now made 33 calls (12 from last night n a 3hr period). We use our phones with Bluetooth to chat on online gaming so that's why I have long phone calls.

I recently posted pics on the Gnex forum around new years where we had 7 Nexus phones all in one house. I got to test out all of them and they all have the same issues, it just isn't mine, its the phone itself.

I agree with u somewhat on one part of it but when it comes to actually being a phone it fails miserably. I might as well carry this as a gd android device with internet connection and add a line to a good moto flip phone for phone calls at this point. I'm not knocking the Gnex at all cause trust me I'm trying to make myself like it but I'm running out of time cause the 15th is coming soon.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I have both the Bionic and the GNex as well as a Razr...I love the Moto phones and it is really hard to give up on them even next to the GNex. There are several things that each one does well but you (as the end user) has to figure out which one is going to the most for you...

I too am excited to see ICS on Moto phones - it should be a great addition to both of the phones and others as well..

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
IMO if you don't root the Nexus isn't for you. This device is meant to be unlocked and rooted

Sent from my Nexus with Droid Forums app

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
IMO if you don't root the Nexus isn't for you. This device is meant to be unlocked and rooted

I would disagree with this...it is a device that is easily unlockable / rootable but it is not a requirement. This was actually the first phone I have had that I didn't care bout rooting. However, I have finally given into the dark side on this device too - I don't think it is a requirement it just makes owning the phone fun! LOL

OP
INCREMENTAL

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score

Yeah I disagree as well. After owning a OG Droid and having it rooted. Honestly I just don't see where all the hype is about it. Yeah its cool to have TOTAL control over your phone but that was always my problem with a iPhone, u have no control and to me android gives you that for the most part. I'm not a user that flashes and has new roms on my phone constantly week in and week out. Yeah it was fun for a lil bit but after being rooted for a week I'm like, that's it? I just found it to be more overated then anything. Plus before I even thought about rooting this they have to fix the issues first.

OP
INCREMENTAL

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
I have both the Bionic and the GNex as well as a Razr...I love the Moto phones and it is really hard to give up on them even next to the GNex. There are several things that each one does well but you (as the end user) has to figure out which one is going to the most for you...

I too am excited to see ICS on Moto phones - it should be a great addition to both of the phones and others as well..

So how do u feel the Bionic stacks up to the Nexus, do u notice any speed differences n performance or anything?

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
So how do u feel the Bionic stacks up to the Nexus, do u notice any speed differences n performance or anything?

I have my Bionic rooted and ROM'd and to be honest - it runs smooth and I have no data drops (I know that is a big reported issue with the Bionic). Once we get the official ICS, I think the device will be awesome! We may not see the dev love that the Nexus is seeing but it will still be a sound device with opportunities.

jhom

Reaction score
For me, the one feature of a smartphone that I will not compromise on is call quality. The Bionic has been excellent. I have not had a dropped call and the quality is probably the best available. In my experience, Motorola devices have consistently given me the best calls.

jhom

Reaction score
I have my Bionic rooted and ROM'd and to be honest - it runs smooth and I have no data drops (I know that is a big reported issue with the Bionic). Once we get the official ICS, I think the device will be awesome! We may not see the dev love that the Nexus is seeing but it will still be a sound device with opportunities.

+ 1.