Gmail only?

Topawam

Reaction score
I have read a bunch of post in this very helpful forum.
I did not read everything, so here are my doubts:
- Contacts can only be synch with Gmail...
- No way to have outlook synch with Droid...
- Skype still not working with the droid...
I learn google wrote the OS for the droid, I think it is not very "open minded" from google to be as restrictive in their options.
It is going to be a deal breaker, I don't see why I have to change all my "setup" just for a phone.
Hopefully, someone will tell me that I am wrong and solution exist to use my outlook and skype acct.
Thx.

qwiksilver711

Reaction score
ok, not a vet to the droid by far, but yes, i think contacts can be only synced from gmail, but i know you can have your outlook sync to the droid either through the email app or a replacement email app, I have my work outlook email coming to my droid through the default email app, and as far as skype is concerned, I dont know what that is so I cant really help ya there

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
- Contacts can only be synch with Gmail...
You can definitely sync contacts from other sources. I do not sync contacts with gmail but with Exchange, for example. Others sync with Facebook (I don't).

- No way to have outlook synch with Droid...
Not out-of-the-box. You'd need CompanionLink or another solution. You can, however, export from Outlook and import into gmail but it's a very manual process. It might meet your needs (you don't clearly state them in the OP) but it's not really syncing.

- Skype still not working with the droid...
Can't comment on that as I have no interest in Skype. Don't forget that the forum has a search feature.

I learn google wrote the OS for the droid, I think it is not very "open minded" from google to be as restrictive in their options.
It is going to be a deal breaker, I don't see why I have to change all my "setup" just for a phone.
Hopefully, someone will tell me that I am wrong and solution exist to use my outlook and skype acct.
Everyone wants every single thing that they want/need supported out-of-the-box. That's an unrealistic expectation IMO. With Android, at least it's extensible through apps to accommodate the majority of people. Where should Android draw the line? It has to be made somewhere. Why should Google be responsible for making Skype (or any app) work on Android? That's the developer's responsibility. Are you claiming that Google is somehow preventing Skype from working on Android?

fjhiii

Reaction score
- Contacts can only be synch with Gmail... -No, you can do it with MS Exchange.
- No way to have outlook synch with Droid... -No, you Can do it with Google Sync.
- Skype still not working with the droid... -No, it is working.

OP
T

Topawam

Reaction score
Thx, I appreciate the feedbacks.
I can live w/out outlook sync,no biggie.
Could you please tell me how to have skype working? I read thread about the topics but did not find a solution.